What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini in a case....and some thoughts.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now that my iPad mini is in a since folio case (as of yesterday) ($10 shipped, Kay's case from amazon) my relationship to it has changed, strangely. Previously, I had it in one of those back cover cases, but I didn't true feel comfortable with that because the screen was out all the time, so I didn't want to take it out of the house in my bag, etc. But with a folio case, it is different. It seems even more comfortable to hold. I can even grip it by the cover of the case. It is still super light, too. I looks amazing like a Kindle e-book reader inside this case.

I spent a lot of time yesterday using my iPad 3 and mini (and my GN7). Yes, the retina screen is still second to nothing, but that thing is heavy (and why is this all of a sudden an issue for me?????) in comparison to the mini. I first noticed this with the Google Nexus 7 and while this is too an excellent tablet (underpriced as it is -- I suggest everyone get one of these just for an extra tablet around), I just strongly prefer a 4:3 screen. Combine that with the super rich eco-system that comes with Apple stuff and it is simply a compelling experience.

And yes, whenever the retina version of the mini comes out, I will be buying it. I don't think I will ever buy another 9.7 inch iPad!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stop tempting me! Lol.

I like tablets of all sizes, but I continue to prefer larger screens for surfing and movies. I like smaller ones for books and taking on the go daily. When I travel, I still take my full-size iPads, partly because of Google maps and trip planning.

One feature that Samsung has introduced that I'd really love to see: You can run two apps at the same time, like watch a video while surfing. That feature is still in limited introduction, and only with limited apps, even on Samsung devices now, though. And with the lawsuits that companies keep springing on each other, who knows whether that feature will spread. Sigh.

It's very cool that we have more and more tablets to choose from. I see myself continuing to buy a range of sizes -- 9-10", 7" and 5".

My Samsung Galaxy Note 5" phablet is my favorite for one-handed reading. Love it.

I have all my tablets in back-only TPU cases because I like streamlined devices. I tried a cover-style case years ago, before iPad debuted, when I had a now ancient Kindle e-ink reader, lol. Didn't like it. Gave it away when I gifted another Kindle to someone.

My Kindle Fire original is my only one that goes without a TPU back. I like that Fire comes with a plastic back that can take care of itself.

Exposed screens have never bothered me. I use a notebook size case as an open pocket in all my bigger bags and just slide in my bigger tablets whenever I bring them. When I don't want to carry a big bag, I just bring my Galaxy Note 5", which fits in all but my smallest evening purses (the kind that fit a lipstick and change, lol).

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not so much the size of the screen that I have issues with, in fact, it's not the screen at all. It is the weight. So maybe I need a way to rephrase my statement, but I can't come up with anything. :)

Also, hold the large iPad in my hands without a case, ugh! The mini has sides that are a joy to hold and look at. If you ask me, apple would do well to introduce the iPad 5 in march, just to get to this new design. They need to figure a way to keep it light, long battery life, and lovely screen. These things I want are not easy to deliver.

I don't actually dislike the back-only case design, though. But with what one spends on these things, and I spend a lot, I feel more comfortable with full protection. So I can understand your point of view regarding the case. I still want to be able to sell this thing at top dollar when the time comes. :). I know you don't sell your toys, but I will part with mine if it means being able to feed all my hobbies. I never talk about the expensive bicycles I own here. :)

Funny too is that I think of my android devices differently. I don't go to nearly the fuss with than as I do my iOS stuff. I will soon have several cases for my mini, but I only have one for my gn7. Same with the iPhone vs the HTC incredible I had. Something about apple going to the effort to make something that is lovely engenders in me a desire to protect it. I don't feel that way about most of my other gear. Curious. :p

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not so much the size of the screen that I have issues with, in fact, it's not the screen at all. It is the weight. So maybe I need a way to rephrase my statement, but I can't come up with anything. :)

Also, hold the large iPad in my hands without a case, ugh! The mini has sides that are a joy to hold and look at. If you ask me, apple would do well to introduce the iPad 5 in march, just to get to this new design. They need to figure a way to keep it light, long battery life, and lovely screen. These things I want are not easy to deliver.

I don't actually dislike the back-only case design, though. But with what one spends on these things, and I spend a lot, I feel more comfortable with full protection. So I can understand your point of view regarding the case. I still want to be able to sell this thing at top dollar when the time comes. :). I know you don't sell your toys, but I will part with mine if it means being able to feed all my hobbies. I never talk about the expensive bicycles I own here. :)

Funny too is that I think of my android devices differently. I don't go to nearly the fuss with them as I do my iOS stuff. I will soon have several cases for my mini, but I only have one for my gn7. Same with the iPhone vs the HTC incredible I had. Something about apple going to the effort to make something that is lovely engenders in me a desire to protect it. I don't feel that way about most of my other gear. Curious. :p

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Funny too is that I think of my android devices differently. I don't go to nearly the fuss with them as I do my iOS stuff. I will soon have several cases for my mini, but I only have one for my gn7. Same with the iPhone vs the HTC incredible I had. Something about apple going to the effort to make something that is lovely engenders in me a desire to protect it. I don't feel that way about most of my other gear. Curious. :p

Apple does produce some lovely devices, so I understand your wanting to protect them, esp if you're going to sell down the road. I find the designs lovely, but not practical (at least for me) because they're slippery, which is why I use a TPU back for better grip. I found iPod touch 4 so thin that it's too thin without a case for me.

My leaning is admittedly for practicality over aesthetics. I like lovely designs, but I consider tech devices as replaceable tools, so I want them to be practical first.

I don't care for flap covers on tablets, but that's just a personal pref, and yours is just as valid of course.

Lighter weight would be great on all tabs, for my prefs.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think aesthetics and their attention to it is part of the apple magic. I remember the days of old when PCs there such ugly things.... I mean, they actually would be an eyesore in the home or the office. Then along came apple and they finally (I say finally because they started out ugly too) started making beautiful tech devices. I love it. I appreciate it too. I have spent hundreds of $ to get a nice looking computer case, for example.

But, there is a part of me that says practicality is important too (I am an engineer, after all), but the two don't have to be at odds. It took the PC world ages to figure that out, after they got their clocked cleaned.

It is a pain to have to worry about an Apple device getting all scratched up before you even realize it. That is something I think they can afford to give some attention to, given the premium price they demand. Their stuff needs to be durable, too. There is definite room for them to up their game.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think aesthetics and their attention to it is part of the apple magic. I remember the days of old when PCs there such ugly things.... I mean, they actually would be an eyesore in the home or the office. Then along came apple and they finally (I say finally because they started out ugly too) started making beautiful tech devices. I love it. I appreciate it too. I have spent hundreds of $ to get a nice looking computer case, for example.

But, there is a part of me that says practicality is important too (I am an engineer, after all), but the two don't have to be at odds. It took the PC world ages to figure that out, after they got their clocked cleaned.

It is a pain to have to worry about an Apple device getting all scratched up before you even realize it. That is something I think they can afford to give some attention to, given the premium price they demand. Their stuff needs to be durable, too. There is definite room for them to up their game.

Agree on Apple's contribution to designs throughout computing and even beyond, to household products.

I find grip-ability really important with any handheld devices. Weight, balance, materials and bezel all play into that. You're finding a portfolio-style case more holdable, it sounds like. When Kindle e-inks first came out, pre-iPad, some users mentioned that. Even with lighter weight, grip is key.

Most reactions

Latest posts