What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Mini Died

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My ipad was acting up so I turned it off. Now it won't go on. At all. The battery is charged. Last week my home button went and I had to install the virtual one. Could the on/off button have gone kaput too? Not having good ipad luck right now. Is there anything Incan do right now other than bringing it in for service. And how much does service usually run. My one year warranty was over 3 days ago. HELP PLEASE!!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you connect an iPad that is turned off to a charger, it will turn on. Try that and see if it works.

I've deleted the other post you made on this same topic as multiple threads on the same subject will fragment any resulting conversations, making them hard to follow, as well as being against our rules.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for deleting the duplicate. I did it again because I got the message it didn't go through. Well, I hooked it up to the charger and it did not go on. Any other ideas? Thanks for responding.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for deleting the duplicate. I did it again because I got the message it didn't go through. Well, I hooked it up to the charger and it did not go on. Any other ideas? Thanks for responding.
The iPad should have turned on. There may be other internal problems here. In that case, you'll have to take it in for a diagnostic. Genius Bar appointments at an Apple Store are free and if your problem is a software issue, they can usually fix it while you wait. If the problem is hardware related, they'll quote you a repair price.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you both for your response. I will find my nearest Apple store. Brian, I am embarrassed to say that I was eating salt water taffy several weeks ago and got the ipad sticky. :( So, I got a lens cleaning wipe and cleaned off the surfaces, including the home button. The next day the home button didn't work. So what is the lightning port? Is that where I plug the charger in?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you both for your response. I will find my nearest Apple store. Brian, I am embarrassed to say that I was eating salt water taffy several weeks ago and got the ipad sticky. :( So, I got a lens cleaning wipe and cleaned off the surfaces, including the home button. The next day the home button didn't work. So what is the lightning port? Is that where I plug the charger in?

Nice call Brian! :cool:

@ Ladymindful - unfortunately, likely not a coincidence, sorry; liquids and electronics don't 'mix' - not sure what was on the lens cleaning wipe but if indeed the 'home button' was damaged in the process, there may be further (or future) problems w/ the device. As suggested, a visit to the Genius Bar for a diagnostic assessment and a repair estimate is your best choice.

BTW, the 'lightning port' is simply the charging dock which you suggested above. Good luck - Dave :)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes that would be where the charger plugs in.

In regards to the home button and taffy. Use a q tip soaked with lots of ( i.e. Dripping wet) rubbing alcohol around the home button. Wait a few minutes for the rubbing alcohol to evaporate. Then try a hard reset by holding the home and power button at the same time for 10 seconds.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes that would be where the charger plugs in.

In regards to the home button and taffy. Use a q tip soaked with lots of ( i.e. Dripping wet) rubbing alcohol around the home button. Wait a few minutes for the rubbing alcohol to evaporate. Then try a hard reset by holding the home and power button at the same time for 10 seconds.

@ Ladymindful - be aware that 'rubbing alcohol' is mainly isopropyl alcohol and may contain nearly one-third of water (not good for electronics) depending on the product bought, so if you are going to try Brian's suggestion, then make sure that you purchase a product w/ 99+% alcohol - just wary of water-containing 'beverages' around my electronics. Let us know what Apple finds if you go that route - Dave :)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@ Ladymindful - be aware that 'rubbing alcohol' is mainly isopropyl alcohol and may contain nearly one-third of water (not good for electronics) depending on the product bought, so if you are going to try Brian's suggestion, then make sure that you purchase a product w/ 99+% alcohol - just wary of water-containing 'beverages' around my electronics. Let us know what Apple finds if you go that route - Dave :)
Thanks for the clarification Dave, I should have mentioned that. My hope is that the isopropyl alcohol will clean out any residue in the home button, letting it function normally again. There really isn't anything under the home button area in the mini that can short out so any leakage to the inside through the home button won't be disastrous. Just remember to wait a few minutes until it evaporates before trying the reset. You may have to give the entire process a few tries to get it to work.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Brian you are a genius!!!!! I did as you suggested with the rubbing alcohol, said a quick prayer, did the hard reset and IT CAME ON. I don't know how to thank you. If you were here I'd kiss you. :) One thing I have learned is I spend too much time on my ipad so I will be rectifying that. Thank you both.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Brian you are a genius!!!!! I did as you suggested with the rubbing alcohol, said a quick prayer, did the hard reset and IT CAME ON. I don't know how to thank you. If you were here I'd kiss you. :) One thing I have learned is I spend too much time on my ipad so I will be rectifying that. Thank you both.

That is awesome news! Glad I could be of help.

Most reactions