What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini 2019

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mini update: Found Amazon was able to deliver before last trip so bought from them. I've found it a great companion to my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 like Twerpoet I use it for notetaking all the time both in Notability app and Notes. I can throw it in a bag for easy carry and know notes or anything else will be synced with my Pro-or Mac for that matter. And horrors of horrors, I've even used it split screen-but primarily for dragging a photo or tweet over to Messages. (I "live"in split screen most of the time on the 12.9).

I'm using the newish Google keyboard (sort of like Swift) because I'm a touch typist and the keyboard is small so the slide on the Gboard is nice and so much better than I remember this type keyboard.

I considered the Apple cover but know iPads are slippy to hold so bought a Soke trifold-very light at 5.6 oz, protects corners and offers everything one wants in a cover including a loop for my gen 1 Pencil (which I charge on the case with an inches long cable meant for Pencil charging).

I have had a Kindle for years so wondered about reading outside but in the South I'm usually under shelter while reading and it's fine-and glare seems controlled sufficiently for me.

So-very glad my Kindle was dying at same time Mini 5 came out. It was a very good device purchase-i setup from my Pro but then deleted apps unlikely to be used on the Mini-like advanced photo apps and some others. It's with me all the time-as is my phone but I'm much more likely to use the Mini for most things and having the ability to use the Pencil (or Crayon) is a real plus over the phone.

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I decided, I’m going to get the new mini. The iPad I have now has 3g which I never use. I don’t know if I should get the mini with 3g. If I go away I think most hotels have free WiFi?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I decided, I’m going to get the new mini. The iPad I have now has 3g which I never use. I don’t know if I should get the mini with 3g. If I go away I think most hotels have free WiFi?

Hi Amyberta - as already stated, do you need GPS or 4G LTE (more info HERE) cellular on your 'new' iPad? Since 2011, wife & I have owned a half dozen iPads - I've always bought just the Wi-Fi models mainly because where we travel and stay, Wi-Fi is always available; however, if you need to be on the internet (or have to use GPS on an iPad) w/o Wi-Fi, then a consideration (of course at the cost of a data plan). If you never use your current 3G, then why pay for the service? The newer Mini model has 4G as described in the link given - take look and decide - I just upgraded to the newest iPad Pro w/ only Wi-Fi; wife has the Mini 4 and if we upgrade hers to the new Mini, then will pick Wi-Fi only - but a personal choice that only you can make. Good luck - Dave :)

jkingrph

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had an iPad Air with 3G or whatever. It was nice except for paying for the plan. After my phone carrier started offering free wi fil hotspot via the phone I cancelled it. My new iPad Mini is wi fi only.. You might check and see if your cell phone carrier has free hotspots.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had an iPad Air with 3G or whatever. It was nice except for paying for the plan. After my phone carrier started offering free wi fil hotspot via the phone I cancelled it. My new iPad Mini is wi fi only.. You might check and see if your cell phone carrier has free hotspots.

Yes, a good point and a potential issue w/ Wi-Fi only iPads even if Wi-Fi is available, i.e. the Wi-Fi offered may be of such low bandwidth to be useless for many purposes except maybe simple email - we just returned from the Tennessee (TN) mountains (Gatlinburg area) and stayed in a wonderful cabin w/ spectacular mountain views (described in my travelogue on East TN) - the satellite Wi-Fi had a data limit that allowed a measly 1-2 Mbps DL (about the same UL) speeds - could get email but web browsing and posting pics was impossible (quote below from my travelogue).

We were w/ our IT son who setup his iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot (can be an extra and costly fee from your cellular provider, but his was part of a company plan and virtually 'free') - when I connected to his 'hot spot', my DL speeds increased to 30-40 Mbps and allowed me to post to the form. SO, an alternate option if Wi-Fi reception is poor - BUT, I must say that in years of traveling and staying at places that offer Wi-Fi, this has been an extreme rarity in my experience. Dave :)

Woes of Wi-Fi in our mountain cabin - :(
My posts have been delayed a day or so because we determined that our satellite Wi-Fi router had a 'data cap' which permitted only 1-2 Mbps DL & UL speeds, insufficient to do much more that check our email, and certainly not adequate to upload and download multiple large images or to even browse the web at a decent rate.
SO, our IT son setup his iPhone as a 'hot spot' and I've been on his 'network' for the last few days, and was able to just place a couple of posts (getting about 30-40 Mbps DL speeds on his network) - we do not have that choice on Susan's iPhone, and his company pays his expenses. Felt like I was back in the dial-up modem days - :eek::D
He called the rental office and they are 'checking into the satellite service' but I'm sure the rates are set in stone - this cabin can easily accommodate a dozen people, who together could have at least 2 dozen Wi-Fi gizmos - now that's a LOT of bandwidth - really the first time lately that I've had an issue w/ broadband wireless in a rental place, either condo or hotel. BUT - we've brought along a bunch of DVDs/BDs and have been enjoying that entertainment room shown earlier! Dave :)

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks all, I think I’m going to get the WiFi only this time. When I have been away I was able to use the free WiFi with no problem. I’m getting it because my iPad has become to heavy and I want something lighter.

jkingrph

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, a good point and a potential issue w/ Wi-Fi only iPads even if Wi-Fi is available, i.e. the Wi-Fi offered may be of such low bandwidth to be useless for many purposes except maybe simple email - we just returned from the Tennessee (TN) mountains (Gatlinburg area) and stayed in a wonderful cabin w/ spectacular mountain views (described in my travelogue on East TN) - the satellite Wi-Fi had a data limit that allowed a measly 1-2 Mbps DL (about the same UL) speeds - could get email but web browsing and posting pics was impossible (quote below from my travelogue).

We were w/ our IT son who setup his iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot (can be an extra and costly fee from your cellular provider, but his was part of a company plan and virtually 'free') - when I connected to his 'hot spot', my DL speeds increased to 30-40 Mbps and allowed me to post to the form. SO, an alternate option if Wi-Fi reception is poor - BUT, I must say that in years of traveling and staying at places that offer Wi-Fi, this has been an extreme rarity in my experience. Dave :)

I agree about watching for the extra fees. When I first learned about cell phones being able o provide a hotspot, I checked with Verizon and it was a costly fee, That's when I got a simm card and set my iPad air up for 3 or 4 G, cannot remember which, but it was cheaper at the time than a hotspot. Then a few years later I was doing something on my iPhone and noticed the hotspot feature. I called Verizon and said I had not subscribed for that and to please remove it. Their reply was that they had upgraded their system and it was now part of their basic plan., That's when I dropped the 3-4G on my ipad. Nice thing about the hotspot is that I can connect the laptop I am using now when I am out of town at my parents old house where we do not have internet access or wi fi

Most reactions

Latest posts