What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini 1 upgraded to iOS 9 - will it slow down?

colbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks for the forums, I am a newcomer.

I have recieved an iPad Mini 1 16G (not retina screen) a few years ago.
A very useful device !!!! for so many pro reasons (mail, net, apps etc).
And I am very satisfied with it.

It is now on iOS 8.3

I wish to upgrade it to iOS 9 but afraid of experiencing lagging/slowing down.

Your advises will be precious.
Thank you,
Colbo

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have recieved an iPad Mini 1 16G (not retina screen) a few years ago.
A very useful device !!!! for so many pro reasons (mail, net, apps etc). And I am very satisfied with it.

It is now on iOS 8.3 - I wish to upgrade it to iOS 9 but afraid of experiencing lagging/slowing down.

Hello Colbo - welcome to the forum! :) I saw your post this morning and coming on late in the afternoon, I see no one has responded - hesitated earlier - I have an iPad Air 2 & wife a Mini 4, so was hoping that an owner of the earlier Mini who has made the upgrade to iOS 9.x would respond - I'm sure that a 'search' in the forum might bring up some hits?

First, the original iPad Mini was released in late 2012 and is getting 'long in the tooth', i.e. the hardware technology is old, and would not be able to take advantage of some of the great features in iOS 9; also, your device cannot be upgraded to iOS 10 which will be released shortly (see image below). Second, please review iOS 9 Performance on iPhone 4s & iPad Mini which discusses the 'pros & cons' of this OS upgrade for your device.

You probably should start saving for a newer iDevice because your 'fears' may become a reality w/o a way to return to the older iOS. Dave

P.S. are you making iTunes and/or iCloud backups of your iPad Mini? If not, do so before attempting this upgrade if that is the path your choose?
Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 2.07.28 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
C

colbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Giradman,

Thank you for taking the time for this rich response!

Colbo

Hello Colbo - welcome to the forum! :) I saw your post this morning and coming on late in the afternoon, I see no one has responded - hesitated earlier - I have an iPad Air 2 & wife a Mini 4, so was hoping that an owner of the earlier Mini who has made the upgrade to iOS 9.x would respond - I'm sure that a 'search' in the forum might bring up some hits?

First, the original iPad Mini was released in late 2012 and is getting 'long in the tooth', i.e. the hardware technology is old, and would not be able to take advantage of some of the great features in iOS 9; also, your device cannot be upgraded to iOS 10 which will be released shortly (see image below). Second, please review iOS 9 Performance on iPhone 4s & iPad Mini which discusses the 'pros & cons' of this OS upgrade for your device.

You probably should start saving for a newer iDevice because your 'fears' may become a reality w/o a way to return to the older iOS. Dave

P.S. are you making iTunes and/or iCloud backups of your iPad Mini? If not, do so before attempting this upgrade if that is the path your choose?
View attachment 73635

OP
C

colbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
I'll probably keep the current iOS and plan on purchasing another iDevice in the future.
Thanks.

Hi Colbo - no problem; so, what are you going to do, i.e. 'sit tight' or upgrade? Just curious. Dave :)

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Mini 1 and was intending not to update the IOS for fear of having problems due to the old hardware.
However, though I am sure I have always told it not to upgrade, I must have clicked awry a few days ago as it now is on IOS 9.3.5!!

I have not noticed any problems yet apart from it demanding a passcode on opening up (I usually turn this off if not taking it out and about which now I have a smart phone I tend not to do except when on holiday) which won't tale a minute to "correct".

But I only use it for reading books, emailing, web browsing and listening to audio books so I don't know how any games or other apps would react to the change.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The ipad Mini 2 like I have will support ios 10.2 and works quite well with it. I would not attempt it with anything older then a mini 2.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Mini 1 and was intending not to update the IOS for fear of having problems due to the old hardware.
However, though I am sure I have always told it not to upgrade, I must have clicked awry a few days ago as it now is on IOS 9.3.5!!

I have not noticed any problems yet apart from it demanding a passcode on opening up (I usually turn this off if not taking it out and about which now I have a smart phone I tend not to do except when on holiday) which won't tale a minute to "correct".

But I only use it for reading books, emailing, web browsing and listening to audio books so I don't know how any games or other apps would react to the change.
You'll have to try the various apps and games you use to see how it performs. Different users report quite different behaviour and performance on the same device running the same iOS version.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would not recommend updating your mini1 past iOS 9.3.x.

I upgraded my mini/2 retina to iOS 10.x and could immediately tell it was struggling. Especially with game playing. To the best of my knowledge, you have to upgrade to stay on top of the security updates. So it's kind of a double edged sword.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would not recommend updating your mini1 past iOS 9.3.x.

I upgraded my mini/2 retina to iOS 10.x and could immediately tell it was struggling. Especially with game playing. To the best of my knowledge, you have to upgrade to stay on top of the security updates. So it's kind of a double edged sword.
It's not possible to update the iPad mini 1 past iOS 9.3.5. Due to hardware limitations, it doesn't receive iOS 10x.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah, good to know. So users of older equipment like that cannot get security updates? IIRC, security updates are part of the iOS update. Or is that not true?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes most of the software updates also contain security updates.

As far as I remember, Apple once pushed out a security update for devices that didn't get the latest software, because of a serious security issue. Other than that, another security update won't be necessary. Apple devices are pretty secure.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes most of the software updates also contain security updates.

As far as I remember, Apple once pushed out a security update for devices that didn't get the latest software, because of a serious security issue. Other than that, another security update won't be necessary. Apple devices are pretty secure.
I believe that was the iOS 6.1.6 update that was released after the introduction of iOS 7 for the iPod touch 4th generation and iPhone 3GS.

Most reactions

Latest posts