What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad, Macbook...now what?

Mck22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have had an Ipad for a few weeks, and I just bought a new macbook pro 13 inch. I have heard so many people talk about all the cool/neat things you can do with the two. Anyone who can tell me what to do or any apps that work together on both. I just want to get the full experience of having the two. Thanks!!! I also have an iphone4 so if that comes into play at all, let me know.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that kinda depends on you. What did you buy them for?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The biggest benefit is that iTunes just works better on an OS X computer. It is more reliable and faster. Explore the sync settings and you may be surprised by the new options available.

iPhotos albums, including smart albums can be set up to sync with the Photo app on both the iPad and iPhone.

iCal and Calendar can be set up to sync. If you have a MobileMe account the integration of the basic apps (Mail, Address Book, Calendar) really gets good. If not then you can set up local computer syncing under the devices Info page on iTunes.

If you use GMail or another service, you can set up those accounts in the Mac's Mail, Calendar, and Address Book programs.

If you like Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, you can now get the full versions. If you move an iPad document to the OS X version first you'l have better .doc export. Still not perfect, but better.

Bento, which is barely useful on the iPad by itself suddenly becomes much better if you get the OS X version to sync with.

Keep an eye on MobileMe, rumors suggest it is going to go free, or at least have some limited free services beyond Find my IPhone. If that happens you may find a whole new slew of ways to keep your iPad and MacBook talking to each other.

Play with the iLife suite. You'll find that they communicate well with each other.

Preview is probably the least noticed but most useful app on the computer. It will allow viewing and basic editing, annotating, of most file types.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Play, have fun.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mck22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, i will play around with those things. I downloaded remoter for the access to my computer on the go but cant get it set up anyone use this?

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is an app like AirDisplay. If you've both mac and iPad on the same wireless network you can use the iPad as a second display for the mac.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Splashtop for remote access and Zumocast for streaming (believe it's being rereleased shortly). Actually zumo will also open docs and photos as well. Grab it when you see it's back in the appstore.
FileBrowser and PhotoTransfer also work with macs.
Evernote (free) is also a great app and something I use daily, as well as Bento as Tp said, but it does depend on whether they will be of use to you.

Most reactions

Latest posts