What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Location

patroche99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an IPad WiFi with the verizon MiFi cellular router. Should the IPad be able to find my location via the Verizon MiFi router?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. The Mifi is mobile. Your cellphone has a gps in it. The Mifi doesn't. When you are at home, your Internet modem and your wireless router or dhcp gateway give your iPad an ip address to access the Internet. Your iPad uses that ip address to tell where you are. Depending on where you live you get a different ip address. The mifi has a set ip. And it relates that ip address to your iPad. But give it a try! Connect to your mifi and open the maps app. Tap the arrow in the top center of the app which will give the iPad your location. See if it works and let me know! :)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would assume the mifi could at least use tower triangulation to give an approximate location, not as exact as gps but doable.

OP
P

patroche99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't find location

We're driving from New Jersey to the Gulf coast. When we are connected to the internet via the MiFi the IPAD cannot find our location. We were at a motel last night connected to the hotel WiFi and it couldn't find the location there either. We are at another hotel now and it doesn't seem to be able to find the location here either.

Most reactions