What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does iPad maps show me at 2 locations?

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My location in maps on my iPad shows me at my address and also the house across the street, any ideas why, or if I can correct it? When I click the pin it lists the 2 addresses like 12-18 Apple street and the pin bounces between the two locations. My wifi is set up correctly and location settings are activated.

Could it be wifi interference between two wireless routers?

Any ideas peeps?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You don't say, but I'm guessing you've got a Wifi only iPad.

The WiFi only iPad gets it's location based on a database of WiFi hotspots. It sounds like both you aren your neighbor are in that database. Chances are that when it is jumping back and forth it is because you are somewhere in your house where the two signals are at near the same strength.

Try right next to your wifi router. If it jumps there too, I have no idea.

Also, the location isn't very accurate. It may show you a nice precise little blue dot, but the accuracy is the much bigger blue circle surrounding that dot. I bet you're inside that bigger blue circle no matter where the dot rests.

OP
G

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for replying twerppoet, your correct in that I have wifi only. The accuracy is spot on with the blue pin directly on my house, as I'm writing this the router is about 4 foot from the iPad but as I said the blue pin jumps to, I assume my neighbours address.

I've been playing about with it a bit and something even stranger happens, when I select my name and address from the bookmarks it opens calendar for the address then red pins my address as further down the street! Three separate locations, LOL ain't technology a funny thing, it's not pinpoint but still pretty amazing.

just had a real scary thought, I hope the military don't use google maps and wifi to drop bombs on people.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gazzaho said:
just had a real scary thought, I hope the military don't use google maps and wifi to drop bombs on people.

Well if they do you have a better chance that they won't get you, I worry for the other people who live near you though!!!

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I've been playing about with it a bit and something even stranger happens, when I select my name and address from the bookmarks it opens calendar for the address then red pins my address as further down the street! Three separate locations, LOL ain't technology a funny thing, it's not pinpoint but still pretty amazing.

The ability to look up addresses and stuff is built into most of Apple's standard apps. The red pin is where Google's map database thinks your address is. It's full of minor errors. You'd get the same location if you went into your Address book and taped on your address there.

I wouldn't worry about the Military much, but to be on the safe side don't call any bomb strikes on your neighbor.

Most reactions

Latest posts