What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad last minute hardware change?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-hardware-update.jpg

9 to 5 Mac
reports that Apple appears to have made a minor last-minute hardware change to the iPad, replacing what was previous described as a mute switch just above the volume rocker on the side of the device with a "screen rotation lock".

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not exactly a hardware change, more like a software rewrite. Good though if that's the case.

Ya someone at Apple grew an ear and heard what feature would be most needed while laying about. To bad they don't have a practical way of retro fitting iPods and iPhones with this magical button. Maybe if the allowed you to retask the Hold(wake/sleep) + Home Button command with Lock Rotation instead of Take Screen Shot.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I would rather have the rotation lock then the mute button myself anyway.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I would rather have the rotation lock then the mute button myself anyway.
I agree. If I need to silence it quickly I will just put my hand over the speaker (like I do with my iPhone). This way, if I am laying down using the device I wont have to worry about the screen rotating when I don't want it too.

Since this is a software change they can always let the user choose what the switch does (mute/lock screen rotation). I don't think that is likely though.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very appreciative of this small but surmountable change.

It was always a hassle for me when laying on my side while on a couch or just sometimes that small angle of viewing would rotate the screen.
:) I always wished there was a simpler way to lock screen rotation other than in app settings.

vickip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah!!!

I certainly hope the screen lock feature will be on the real thing when it come out. That's one of my 2 wishes for the iPad, the other one being icons that are closer together.

Most reactions

Latest posts