What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad kiosks in airports

dgrisales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to install iPad kiosks in my university, like the ones in the delta terminal at laguardia airport. They have several apps on screen that are pre-set with no settings icon to change anything. How are these set up? Is the iOS modified? Are they using an emulator app that is placed in guided access mode?? Any ideas on how to replicate this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to:

iPad Accessories |iPad Help|iPad Hacking | iPad Games | iPad for Business and Education | Special Needs iPad Forum | iPad for Health Forum

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0, 5.1 & 6.0:*
Connecting to the iTunes Store.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/iphone-user-guide-for-ios-6/id563272542?mt=11

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to install iPad kiosks in my university, like the ones in the delta terminal at laguardia airport. They have several apps on screen that are pre-set with no settings icon to change anything. How are these set up? Is the iOS modified? Are they using an emulator app that is placed in guided access mode?? Any ideas on how to replicate this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
This sort of reminds me of the iPads at the Apple Store, where certain features are disabled. There is a website where you can hide certain app icons such as Settings, Camera, Photobooth etc. (PM me for link). There are also stands you can use that cover the home button, or in iOS 6, using the Guided Acces feature (for if you want it locked into one app). Just don't forget to disable multitasking gestures (a mistake I've seen made at kiosk iPads).

Hope this helps a little.

From the iPad of Goofy8275, iPadForums.net user

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This is the company that did the setups: OTG Management |  Control Group

OP
D

dgrisales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello goofy8275, thank you so much for the post. Please let me know what the link is for hiding apps in the ipad. Thanks again!!

- Diego

OP
D

dgrisales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
goofy8275 said:
This sort of reminds me of the iPads at the Apple Store, where certain features are disabled. There is a website where you can hide certain app icons such as Settings, Camera, Photobooth etc. (PM me for link). There are also stands you can use that cover the home button, or in iOS 6, using the Guided Acces feature (for if you want it locked into one app). Just don't forget to disable multitasking gestures (a mistake I've seen made at kiosk iPads).

Hope this helps a little.

From the iPad of Goofy8275, iPadForums.net user

Please let me know that link you talked about. Thanks

DeanoRubino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depending on how many units you wish to configure, provision and deploy, you may wish to outsource rather than tackle yourself. It's not particularly difficult; experience makes it easier. You should also look for durable docks to house the units as they will be 'abused' in public, and the docks should either enable easy access to the iPad or build in cord management for continuous power. The battery life of the iPad is shorter than what you will likely need day-to-day. I can provide additional perspective in a PM if desired.

stevmoul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are companies out there that enable you to remotely manage and monitor all of the devices you have out. You can either use your own app and lock your devices into it or use different kiosk applications where you link web content to the app. I have 20+ iPads out and it's nice to know they are all running the way I want them running. I don't know if I can mention companies by name here but reach out to me if you have questions.

OP
D

dgrisales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DeanoRubino said:
Depending on how many units you wish to configure, provision and deploy, you may wish to outsource rather than tackle yourself. It's not particularly difficult; experience makes it easier. You should also look for durable docks to house the units as they will be 'abused' in public, and the docks should either enable easy access to the iPad or build in cord management for continuous power. The battery life of the iPad is shorter than what you will likely need day-to-day. I can provide additional perspective in a PM if desired.

Absolutely, any suggestion would help.... I'll wait for your PM. Thank you!

stevmoul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mokimobility to manage my kiosks. I can monitor all my devices, get alerts when things go crazy, and manage the content and settings remotely. I know they have a lot of big clients, they may be doing the delta kiosks.

Most reactions

Latest posts