What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPad in museum kiosk setting

Cartozen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings iPad users/developers,

I am trying to help some museum designers place 2 iPads, each doing displaying something different, into a public space as a touch-screen access to simple audio and video web sites we are building.

Anyone care to comment on using wkiosk or other apps that can limit the viewing/control and access on the iPad to specifically that page?

It is not obvious to me how one sets up the iPad with wKiosk to have only the web page sitting open and not being able to access other programs. It seems that some sort of housing must be built to keep users from accessing the other programs on the iPad. Perhaps I'm missing the obvious.

All comments welcome - Cheers - Cartozen

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, hope to see you around. Any questions, feel free to ask.:)

kemperbark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Kiosk Enclosure

You can physically cover the buttons like the enclosure seen Identified Media (LabShield). labshield[dot]com

Gill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cartozen,

Did you find any other information on this?
Next to covering the buttons (so once the app is selected the user cannot exit the app anymore), you need to make sure:
- the Ipad does not go into 'sleeping' mode
- there is an easy way to switch on/off the unit as you cannot leave the Ipad on 24/7.

Anyone ideas?

Gill

Kimsfx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kiosk mode with an APP

Greetings iPad users/developers,

I am trying to help some museum designers place 2 iPads, each doing displaying something different, into a public space as a touch-screen access to simple audio and video web sites we are building.

Anyone care to comment on using wkiosk or other apps that can limit the viewing/control and access on the iPad to specifically that page?

It is not obvious to me how one sets up the iPad with wKiosk to have only the web page sitting open and not being able to access other programs. It seems that some sort of housing must be built to keep users from accessing the other programs on the iPad. Perhaps I'm missing the obvious.

All comments welcome - Cheers - Cartozen

Hello Cartozen...

There is an App for the iPad called Kiosk Pro at kisoskproapp dot com that will do exactly what you are looking for and can solve a number of issues as long as you have a WiFi connection in the museum. Kiosk Pro from what I have read so far can also store the file on the iPad itself in case there is no connection. It uses Safari as the presentation tool rather than Keynote or an MOV. I have been looking for a solution for my client in a trade show environment and this is the only one I have found so far.

Good Luck

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Swing by the local auto show. BMW uses iPads mounted on stands by every car - a metal surround covers the home button (and all the others) and what looks like a custom app to demo the options choices. Quite clever looking.

sdebois

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Since iOS6, the kiosk mode is standard available - this prevents the user to leave the application / only the administrator can do that using a lock code
Just google Ipad kiosk mode and you'll find more info about his

Last edited:

Most reactions