What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Keyboard Secrets

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JWKessler said:
This answered several questions I've had, but there are still a few things I can't seem to figure out. One is the back delete feature. How do you delete a character to the right of the cursor? Another is a lack of cursor movement keys. There have been cases where I simply couldn't figure out how to get the cursor to a spot I needed it to get to and where a simple set of arrows would have been very handy. Perhaps the only way to do this is to connect to a hardware keyboard.

Just touch and hold the screen where you want the cursor......if it's not in exactly the right place just keep holding and drag it.

The Archangel

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JWKessler said:
This answered several questions I've had, but there are still a few things I can't seem to figure out. One is the back delete feature. How do you delete a character to the right of the cursor? Another is a lack of cursor movement keys. There have been cases where I simply couldn't figure out how to get the cursor to a spot I needed it to get to and where a simple set of arrows would have been very handy. Perhaps the only way to do this is to connect to a hardware keyboard.

Tap and hold in an area you want to modify, a magnifying glass will pop up. Keeping your finger on the screen slide it to the exact position you want.

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen that magnifying glass but never took the time to figure out exactly what It was doing. I thought it was related to selecting text for copying. Now that I have tried this out, it's so simple! No need for cursor keys. The back delete would still be nice, but I can live without it.

Thanks for both replies to this.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JWKessler said:
I've seen that magnifying glass but never took the time to figure out exactly what It was doing. I thought it was related to selecting text for copying. Now that I have tried this out, it's so simple! No need for cursor keys. The back delete would still be nice, but I can live without it.

Thanks for both replies to this.

You will find it extremely precise in a short time. Enjoy your iPad...

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will say though that some of these tricks are hard for me to reliably get to work. Its the "flick up" commands that get me - like trying to get an apostrophe by just flicking up on the exclamation/period key. Thats a bugger I tell ya! Still - great tips.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Instead of flicking up on the , ! Key to get the apostrophe I just touch and hold for a second. The apostrophe appears with a blue background. When I release the key I get the apostrophe. That was easier for me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

garstongal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for that tip Fid....MUCH easier than 'flicking' (also discovered you can hold down the .? key to get speech marks!)

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're welcome. Another one is touch the right hand side shift key and slide to the period/question mark key to get a question mark, or further to get the exclamation mark! It works better for me than the tap on the shift then tap on the question mark.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

Most reactions

Latest posts