What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad keeps returning to home screen

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there--welcome!!

It returns to the home screen when you are doing what?

What have you tried so far to solve the problem?

Have you tried this?
Do the first 2 steps first. Save step 3 as a last resort.

1. Force the app to close?
2. Try to restart your iPad?
3. Try to do a soft reset?

You can try this in order, if an app becomes funky.

Force the app to quit by pushing the home button twice to bring up your multi-task bar. This will show all the apps that you have visited. By long pressing the app in question, it will begin to jiggle-press the red circle with the negative sign on the app. It will only quit the app and not delete. Than try to re-open the app and test out.

If that doesn't work, restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

Third is to do a soft reset by holding the power switch and home button together until you see the apple logo. Hope that helps!

Sonia ferdous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah it happened to me with some of my apps. Anyway try resetting your iPad by pressing the home and sleep buttons until you see the Apple logo then let it wake up. Takes about 5-15 secs of button holding. Don't worry you won't lose any data or settings. then check what happens.

game4life

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I 2nd @skimoney's response. I think that the Gen 1 iPad is trying to run too many apps in the background and doesn't have free space to run whatever app that you're trying to open up.

Another possible reason is that perhaps the app is the on its latest updated version and is not compatible to be played/used/run on the Gen 1 iPad as it is only for say the Gen 2/3 iPads. Sometimes on the app developer's main page - it will state that their app is designed for the latest iPad only or will only run on iPad 2 and up and they do not support iPad 1

Rediyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have already tried clearing safari catch, cookies etc, soft restart, quitting all apps in app switcher, hold down power button until red slider appears and then hold down the home button until it goes back to homescreen. If it still gives you issues your hard disk could be almost full. Most people are silly enough to blow money on 16 gb pads. When you consider that some of these apps are pushing 2gb and a 16 gb ipad only has about 14 gb of actual storage available, it's pretty simple math your pad can't hold jack! For globs sake people if you've managed to save enough for an iPad do yourself a huge favor and save up enough for a 64 gb model. You will not regret it.

Most reactions

Latest posts