What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad is stuck in portrait view.

Twilight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is stuck in potrait view and will not change. Is it broken? I moved the slide switch and unmarked "lock screen rotation" in settings, but, it still does not slide to landscape.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a second control that can lock the screen.

Double press the Home button to open the multi-task bar. Now 'flick' the screen to the right. The control at the far left of the multi-task bar can also lock screen rotation - though it can be set to operate the Mute function.

See if that control has become set.

Tim

louis douglas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did that and it turned...once:/ then it stopped again:/ do you think the fact I was being stupid and used a magnet on my iPad to make it sleep did it?:/ I have turned it off and on again and turned the lock rotation off and on again and muted it off and on again (though the multi taking bar) WHAT DO I DO????:'( please help

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
louis douglas said:
I did that and it turned...once:/ then it stopped again:/ do you think the fact I was being stupid and used a magnet on my iPad to make it sleep did it?:/ I have turned it off and on again and turned the lock rotation off and on again and muted it off and on again (though the multi taking bar) WHAT DO I DO????:'( please help

Have you tried rebooting?

louis douglas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Have you tried rebooting?

You mean restoring to factory settings then reinstalling everything back? And over the past few days it's been working fine at some time then stuck at other times, suddenly working again:/ but if it gets stuck again I'll reboot it

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
louis douglas said:
You mean restoring to factory settings then reinstalling everything back? And over the past few days it's been working fine at some time then stuck at other times, suddenly working again:/ but if it gets stuck again I'll reboot it

No, not restore. Hold the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It might be useful to read this - iPad: Understanding the side switch

We find that lots of members get confused between the settings for mute and rotation lock. Read the guide and make sure you have the settings and the side switch configured properly. There is rarely anything wrong with folks iPads when they report rotation problems. They just need to understand the features of the device ;)

Hope that helps.

louis douglas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, it's not to bad (just seems to be sticking a bit), it does eventually rotate so I know it's not on a lock, just need to shake it a bit, and I just found when I unlock it and multi task straight away it freezes and goes black with a loading thing in the middle, then a few second later I'm back at the lock screen again:/ and when it doest do that when I mutil task it seems jittery (like a jail broken one) it's not jail broken, I havet let my iPad out of my sight since the day I got it, iv got 15 gb left out of my 64 gb , do you think iv got too much stuff? Thanks for your help:)

Most reactions

Latest posts