What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad is not a Note taking device

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is not a good notetaking device. The keyboard, while tolearble for typing an email, or inputting a web site address; is not what I want to use to input notes from a technical class. I’d be better off with a pencil and a notebook.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is not a good notetaking device. The keyboard, while tolearble for typing an email, or inputting a web site address; is not what I want to use to input notes from a technical class. I’d be better off with a pencil and a notebook.

Interesting

I respectfully disagree with you, especially after I found My smartNote. The new my smartNote was written by two college students like you to fill their needs and it shows. They price their iPad app called smartNote at only 99 cents. There are a number of videos that you can view about this app from the developers at this link....

YouTube - mysmartnote's Channel

Or a simple demo on YouTube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7v0PmeXPOo"]
default.jpg
3:22
pixel-vfl73.gif
[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7v0PmeXPOo"]smartNote iPad App Demo[/ame]

mysmartnote - 12,360 views

I could list a long set of reasons this is an outstanding app for taking notes but rather than flog a horse go check it out for yourself and see if you can see why I think smartNote is a killer app.

:):):)

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
smartNote

By Christopher Thibault and Brendan Lee

Beware there are several other apps in the App Store with this same name. They are IMHO POS. This smartNote is not an iPhone app but an iPad app. Look for Thibault and Lee as the programmers.

Description

smartNote allows you to take notes on your iPad, both handwritten and typed. Record audio while your taking notes in class, insert a widget from over 150 available, include web pages and other interactive features in your notes. Create documents from 16 different included paper types, or import your own PDF or image. Organize your documents in notebooks with an unlimited number of pages. Export your document as PDF's or images, email them to friends, or sync them back to a computer or another iPad wirelessly!

28 high-quality notebook cover graphics, with more to come!

-Import and Export PDFs
-Annotate and Highlight PDFs
-Record, Import and Export Audio Recordings all while writing!
-Email documents
-Built-in calculator for in-notebook use!
-Handwriting and text on the same page!
-Unlimited number of pages per notebook
-Over 150 Widgets (with more to come!)
-Wireless Syncing
-Documents autosave every 30 seconds
-Access files via iTunes
-Includes 16 common paper types, from legal pads to basketball court diagrams
-Download Audio,PDFs, and Notebooks from the Web
-Hand ignoring area allows you to rest your hand on the screen while writing
-Resize,edit, and move textfield
-Password protect notebooks

Get a 15% discount when buying a Pogo Sketch stylus using the link in the app! This makes our app virtually free!
-More features coming soon!

Online User Guide Available At: smartNote for iPad

Built by college students, for college students!

Try smartNote today!
Introductory pricing for a limited time only.

If you experience any problems, or have questions about the app, please feel free to contact us at: [email protected]
We will work our hardest to help you solve any problem you have.

mzl.roivwsju.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.oqvirkqu.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.qykujbek.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.nzapwodt.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.kbsubqjn.480x480-75.jpg

Just a quick note. If others have an iPad in your class and you are all on the same wifi network, you can sync notes to each other using SmartSync. SmartSync also allows you to sync to PCs or Macs wirelessly.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
It will be an excellent program, but in it's current state it is just too prone to crash. But, even with the crashes it is clear these guys are on the right track...

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will be an excellent program, but in it's current state it is just too prone to crash. But, even with the crashes it is clear these guys are on the right track...

Did you get the latest version?
I had it crash only once when I created a Yellow Highlighter only to discover there was one already built into the program.

Dumb move on my part.

They should of checked a new name for a pen to make sure there was no naming conflicts but I guess they can not think of everything.

The reviews listed on one site are butt ugly wrong for the current version.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Yes current version.... Just trying different things and from time to time it crashes to desktop. Stable when just writing in a oaf, but dicey when getting fancy.... These guys are on the right track, I am confident this will mature into a serious productivity app. When they get it nailed, they should go to 4.99 on the price....I know I would.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes current version.... Just trying different things and from time to time it crashes to desktop. Stable when just writing in a oaf, but dicey when getting fancy.... These guys are on the right track, I am confident this will mature into a serious productivity app. When they get it nailed, they should go to 4.99 on the price....I know I would.

You are right about sudden crashes when stressing the app. I find so far it pops right back to what I was doing with a simple tap on the app icon.

One bug is in the choice of a text field with a border around it. When I put text in and then change pages it vanishes when I come back.

Other types of text fields do not seem to have that problem.

Weird.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like sundry notes too...and it's free

More note taking picks

1. smartNote The most comprehensive feature set, programmable palm rest area. $
  2. Penultimate The smoothest drawing experience. $$
  3. SketchBook Pro The most comprehensive artistic capabilities. $$$
  4. Ideate The best idea envisioning features. $$
  5. WritePad Pro The only one with handwriting recognition. $$$
  6. SketchPad HD The simplest form and function. $
  7. PaperDesk for iPad Whiteboard-to-VGA presentation mode. $
  8. iNapkin 2 Simple, no frills, effective in brainstorming sessions. $$
  9. StoryPages iPad Edition Ideal for sketching story-boarding processes. $$
Let me know what you think.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SmartNote for iPad lets you write, draw with palm-ignoring technology

One of the iPad complaints I hear from long-time tablet PC enthusiasts is that the Apple iPad’s capacitive touchscreen isn’t really designed for accurate drawing or handwriting. That’s because it doesn’t recognize pressure-sensitive input and it doesn’t automatically ignore input from your palm. That means if you rest your palm on the screen while using a stylus or fingertip to draw, you might accidentally end up scribbling with your palm and finger/stylus at the same time.
Some people have found a way around this, by essentially putting a sock or other piece of cloth between their palm and the iPad screen. This works because the capacitive touchscreen recognizes electrical impulses from your skin — and the cloth masks that.
But the folks behind the smartNote app for the iPad have come up with a solution that doesn’t require you to carry around an extra sock. If you want to draw or write in smartNote 1.02, all you have to is set up a palm ignoring area. You can adjust the size of the palm ignoring area and when you rest your hand on the screen to write, all input in that box will be ignored. The really cool part is that the box moves with your hand, so you don’t have to keep your palm steady as you try to write.
The app isn’t just designed for inking on an iPad. It lets you type and draw notes, set text input areas, delete notes, change fonts, text styles, and other settings.
You can see the smartNote palm ignoring tech in action in the video below, starting at about the 4 minute point. The app is available for download from the iTunes App Store for $0.99.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IhaloTanhQ&feature=player_embedded#!
via GottaBeMobile

Last edited:

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose both PaperDesk and PenUltimate. I've settle on PaperDesk - which does a find job taking notes. It also allows me to highlight parts of the note, circle important thoughts, etc.

At first I thought that the method for handling the notes was a bit cheesy - you clicked a button and the note is pasted into an e-mail and added as an enclosure. But I actually found this pretty cool - since when I got back to my main computer I could save as, print, etc. I also created a gmail folder to store all of my PaperDesk notes.

What is also cool is that I can take notes and then e-mail them to people who need them.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose both PaperDesk and PenUltimate. I've settle on PaperDesk - which does a find job taking notes. It also allows me to highlight parts of the note, circle important thoughts, etc.

At first I thought that the method for handling the notes was a bit cheesy - you clicked a button and the note is pasted into an e-mail and added as an enclosure. But I actually found this pretty cool - since when I got back to my main computer I could save as, print, etc. I also created a gmail folder to store all of my PaperDesk notes.

What is also cool is that I can take notes and then e-mail them to people who need them.

You can email even the audio notes from smartNote. I have them all and smartNote is by far the most advanced, I agree it is buggy at times, but nothing that is a showstopper since it is so easy restart right where you were.

One problem with smatNote is that it really uses the memory and the iPad OS doesn't manage memory very well. Other apps grab some and don't release memory properly.

Turning the iPad completely off and restarting it seems to solve a lot of the problem as it resets memory at that time.

Remember that if you have any unusual problem with any iPad app.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You can email even the audio notes from smartNote. I have them all and smartNote is by far the most advanced, I agree it is buggy at times, but nothing that is a showstopper since it is so easy restart right where you were.

One problem with smatNote is that it really uses the memory and the iPad OS doesn't manage memory very well. Other apps grab some and don't release memory properly.

Turning the iPad completely off and restarting it seems to solve a lot of the problem as it resets memory at that time.

Remember that if you have any unusual problem with any iPad app.

Know what? I'm finding that I'm needing to do the power off restart piece on my iPad about every 2 days. Maybe that's some kind of ongoing daily maintenance that we should be doing. Does anyone know, technically, what that shutdown and re-start does v. just clicking the power off button?

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Um a dollar! At that price this is absolute steal and it's only gonna get better. I'm thinking must have app!

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried smart note and love the concept and all but I think something is missing to take it well over par... A stylus folks. I don't know if it is clumsy me but I just can't get the hang of writing with my fingers. As far as using the typing pad why not put my $9.99 Pages to work. I know a lot of you disagree, but I think iPad should include a stylus function... And no, not the Pogo option..

Most reactions

Latest posts