What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad help

VixkyW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in tenerife and i bought my IPAD that i bought n Engalnd. Since we moved here i cant connect to the WIFI that is in the Villa. It picks up the WIFI connection but when i enter the password it just keeps saying unable to join. Ive restarted the network settings several times. I have orange on the signal strenght and as the carrier. please can somebody help

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It picks up the WIFI connection but when i enter the password it just keeps saying unable to join.
Check the wifi settings on the router. It might be that only certain devices (with specific MAC addresses) are allowed to connect. In that case you have to add the MAC address of the iPad to that list. You can find the iPad's MAC address in the general settings (idiotically Apple lists the MAC address here under the title "Wi-Fi Address").

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VixkyW said:
I live in tenerife and i bought my IPAD that i bought n Engalnd. Since we moved here i cant connect to the WIFI that is in the Villa. It picks up the WIFI connection but when i enter the password it just keeps saying unable to join. Ive restarted the network settings several times. I have orange on the signal strenght and as the carrier. please can somebody help

1. Use the Forget this network option on your iPad and rediscover the access point and test.

2 . Do a cold restart of the wireless router then test.

3. Reset the router to factory settings then test. Usually accomplished with a paper clip inserted into the pinhole in rear of router. If you do this all previously stored security policies are lost and must be recreated.

Try each of the above separately. If you are still unable to access the wifi network see if the iPad can connect to another access point at a friends house or public hotspot.

I think the router is your issue. A setup value that limits number of devices, MAC filters as mentioned by last poster, or the DHCP server on the router is FUBAR. A full restart of the router clears most issues up. The factory reset surely fixes the issues but creates an unsecure wifi network that anyone can access.

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3. Reset the router to factory settings then test. Usually accomplished with a paper clip inserted into the pinhole in rear of router. If you do this all previously stored security policies are lost and must be recreated.
This can be a dangerous option because - depending on the router and the router setup - you might also loose the connection to your internet service provider. Don't do this unless you know how to set up the router to reconnect to your ISP.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other thing to try if forgetting the network doesn't work is try resetting just the network settings on the iPad. I had a similar problem awhile back and that was what it took to fix it. Simply forgetting the network wasn't enough to reset whatever was causing the problem on the iPad.

neartheredrocks said:
Check the wifi settings on the router. It might be that only certain devices (with specific MAC addresses) are allowed to connect. In that case you have to add the MAC address of the iPad to that list. You can find the iPad's MAC address in the general settings (idiotically Apple lists the MAC address here under the title "Wi-Fi Address").

It's not idiotic, as the Bluetooth adapter also has a MAC address, so labeling as which device they belong to makes sense. Now admittedly it'd be nice if it said (Wi-Fi | Bluetooth) MAC instead, but I doubt Apple would do that :)

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
neartheredrocks said:
This can be a dangerous option because - depending on the router and the router setup - you might also loose the connection to your internet service provider. Don't do this unless you know how to set up the router to reconnect to your ISP.

Agreed. You should also see if there is a backup option for the router before considering such a radical step.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
neartheredrocks said:

If your wireless router was supplied by your ISP or you have a modem/router combination unit then contact your ISP as cautioned by neartheredocks before resetting the unit.

The vast majority of folks own their own wireless routers and they are not directly connected to the internet but rather an ISP supplied cable modem. Resetting your router to factory defaults simply removes previously entered customer created settings which 99 percent of the time are security specific whether it be MAC filtering, or creating a WEP key which sounds like what you have setup considering you stated you entered a password.

It should also be noted passing a bad password to many routers results in the unable to join error you describe so I would make sure you are entering the password correctly. Passwords are case sensitive so double check when entering it that you are entering it correctly.

A factory reset of the router should as neartheredocks implies be a last resort and is usually performed when folks forget the admin profile and password required to access the router's configuration interface.

If you are familiar or comfortable working with the router's setup let us know because if you can see the config we can likely determine if number of devices that can connect is limited, if MAC filtering is active, or. If any other policies are in place that could be the cause of your I ability to connect to it.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
Agreed. You should also see if there is a backup option for the router before considering such a radical step.

I am not understanding why this is considered a radical step from an ISP connectivity perspective. Sure doing this creates an unsecure access point but this can be readily changed once access is gained.

ISP provisioning is performed at the cable modem level. Any/all devices behind that modem are managed exclusively by the customer. DSL and PPPoE aside I see no risk of losing ISP connectivity as the cable modem will never lose its connection to the ISP. It does not care if zero devices are behind it. It has been provisioned by the provider making it addressable by their DHCP servers.

How does resetting any wireless router that resides behind a provisioned modem result in a loss of connection between the modem and ISP?

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does resetting any wireless router that resides behind a provisioned modem result in a loss of connection between the modem and ISP?
How do you know OP has a provisioned modem and/or DSL? You're living on assumptions and give advise from there that can be harmful.

I recently had to reset the router of a neighbor - and everything was gone and had to be put in again.

Last edited:

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
I am not understanding why this is considered a radical step from an ISP connectivity perspective. Sure doing this creates an unsecure access point but this can be readily changed once access is gained.

ISP provisioning is performed at the cable modem level. Any/all devices behind that modem are managed exclusively by the customer. DSL and PPPoE aside I see no risk of losing ISP connectivity as the cable modem will never lose its connection to the ISP. It does not care if zero devices are behind it. It has been provisioned by the provider making it addressable by their DHCP servers.

Where did I say it had anything to do with the ISP? The last time I had to factory reset my router it took hours and hours to get everything put back right. Furthermore it could be a shared service and the OP might be talking someone that doesn't know better into interrupting a number of people's service.

I have helped diagnose connectivity issues for years and it almost never requires a factory reset on the router.

Eta: more and more new routers come with security enabled. Doing a factory reset may require a wired computer to chand the settings.

Last edited:

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
I have helped diagnose connectivity issues for years and it almost never requires a factory reset on the router.

When the admin profile and password are unknown what do you do?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the admin profile and password are unknown what do you do?

I look up their manual online and give them the default login for their router. Almost always the person either knows it or never changed it. In a case like this I think I have suggested a router factory reset 2 times and that was after pages of detailed information and several people involved in troubleshooting the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts