What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad hacker sentenced to 41 months in jail

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ipad-hacker.jpg

​
Apple has been recently the target of a prolific hacker, who managed to break in the tech giant’s iPad data bank and stole some precious information. Andrew Auernheimer has already been convicted by a federal government to 41 months in prison. He was charged of breaking into the servers of one of America’s major carriers - AT&T, and from there, accessing the personal information of 100,000 iPad users.

Honorable district Judge Susan Wingenton, presided the case and she didn’t take the accusation lightly. She gave Auernheimer the maximum sentence, just as the U.S Department of Justice requested to end​​ the case. Don’t think that the 27 year old hacker accessed information about your average iPad users only. No, he aimed quite high and uncovered personal data about well known public figure like the New York Mayor – Michael Bloomberg, the Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel or ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer.

Before the conviction was finalized, Auernheimer stated to the press:

"In my country, there’s a problem, and that problem is the Feds... Attorneys in their sub-humanity lethally lord over people that are trying to contribute something to humanity. And I’m going to prison for arithmetic? I added one to a f****g’ number on a public web server and I aggregated data and I gave it to a journalist."

Just before the sentence was voiced, Auernheimer was cuffed by court workers, but was that really necessary? Is cyber crime the new violent crime? On top of the jail time, the hacker was also ordered to pay a huge $73,000 fine.

Source: FoxBusiness

Last edited by a moderator:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
41 months in jail after that 20 years in the CIA!

sentinelace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People can kill others and get no sentence. Just amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He probably inadvertently revealed a politician's spank bank of mistresses in the process, that could explain the sentence. lol

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He probably inadvertently revealed a politician's spank bank of mistresses in the process, that could explain the sentence. lol

From here: Hacker Sentenced to 3 Years for iPad Data Exploit - WSJ.com

The email addresses they accessed included those of corporate chiefs, U.S. government officials and Hollywood moguls, prosecutors said.

From here: Defiant e-mail hacker got harsh sentence because of 'disrespect' to court | NJ.com

Defiant – even as his sentence was pronounced – Auernheimer told U.S. District Judge Susan D. Wigenton that he was not sorry for what he had done.

“I didn’t come here today to ask for forgiveness,” he said. “If this court has any foresight, it should ask forgiveness from me.”

His “pervasive disrespect” encouraged Wigenton to hand down a sentence near the top of the federal guidelines, she said.

Basically he's a stupid jerk who was asking for it.

orion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Common sense would have meant saying you're sorry and be polite to the judge even if you don't mean it. He wasn't using any and paid for it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Common sense would have meant saying you're sorry and be polite to the judge even if you don't mean it. He wasn't using any and paid for it.

You have to play the game the rules are written, and in a courtroom, the judge holds all the aces.

A friend of mine was busted for speeding at over 100 mph in the UK. He could have been banned from driving, but he was "very sorry" and "couldn't believe his own stupidity". He walked away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

appsicum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kill someone and say sorry. It's like that. Strict rules and regulations are made for this crime.

Most reactions

Latest posts