What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad GPS

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How good of a GPS would the iPad make for your car.

Is it really feasible to use it as one since you are depending on a cell phone signal for accuracy.

Has anyone tried this yet with their 3G iPad?

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then the iPad 3G has some type of GPS hardware built into it where the WiFi only doesn't.

Just another reason for them to drop the WiFi only all together.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then the iPad 3G has some type of GPS hardware built into it where the WiFi only doesn't.

Better to have both. Some regions don't have 3G, some don't even have basic cell! Other places are too deep underground. But you can set up wifi anywhere. Just sayin'...

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Better to have both. Some regions don't have 3G, some don't even have basic cell! Other places are too deep underground. But you can set up wifi anywhere. Just sayin'...

Eventually they will go with 3 WiFi + 3G models and drop the WiFi only all together. Next iteration we should see 32GB 64GB and 128GB. Remember Solid-state drives are getting cheaper and by next year they will be at least 30% less than now. There is also talk that iPad 2.0 will have an OLED screen which will allow Apple to make the device much thinner.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Eventually they will go with 3 WiFi + 3G models and drop the WiFi only all together. Next iteration we should see 32GB 64GB and 128GB. Remember Solid-state drives are getting cheaper and by next year they will be at least 30% less than now. There is also talk that iPad 2.0 will have an OLED screen which will allow Apple to make the device much thinner.

Well the next iteration should be 4G with 3G backwards compatibility. My concern is the 4G radios will be expensive at first. With all the tethering and portable wifi thats available these days the wifi only may not go away all together. Plus their profit on the wifi only will only get higher as hardware gets cheaper. You'll probably see the lower memory versions go away though and just have one wifi only option.

Last edited:
OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Maybe when they can get a sub $500 price point on the 3G's.

Next iteration should be priced at 399.00 499.00 and 599.00 all with 3G and many more features.

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G iPad has GPS. If you look at the specs, it shows assisted GPS or A-GPS. Which means a regular GPS chip but with assistance from the cell network in finding the satellites when you first turn the GPS on. Just as accurate as your garmen or tom-tom but with a faster startup time.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us

This is the one point that always gets overlooked (especially during April when so many people bought the WiFi only model):

If you have the 3G model, and you don't subscribe to a data plan, you still have GPS. That's really the huge difference between the two models regardless of whether you opt into a cellular plan or not.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score

This is the one point that always gets overlooked (especially during April when so many people bought the WiFi only model):

If you have the 3G model, and you don't subscribe to a data plan, you still have GPS. That's really the huge difference between the two models regardless of whether you opt into a cellular plan or not.

If this is true, then I am a little disapointed about my wifi only iPad, fortunately my wife has started to get hooked so there may be another iPad in the family soon.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, yes you will still have GPS, but to use the built in Maps function, you have to have a data stream to download to.

Now if you got a 3G, no data contract, but bought the GPS map software from another company for iPad, that would work. But as is, you cannot really use the GPS for navigation with the stock maps app without 3G to load map datanon the fly.

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was disappointed in the gps of my new 3g and then I discovered that copilot for ipad was released today at $30 and the features seemed ok. so I bought it and installed it on the ipad. It contains all maps of USA so they don't have to be downloaded each time you use it. It also have text to voice and the map fits great on the ipad screen. It has all of the gps features' While on the gps subject the map program really spooked me out today. In using the map app. that came installed on the ipad so when I opened it & placed a pin on my home. Well I then held my finger on the pin and a beautifu photo of my home covered the entire screen. How in the heavens name did that happen? I never had a photo on the ipad with my home address to my knowledge. Now that is scary. jim_joh

Most reactions

Latest posts