What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad for university?

Vivrichards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Phil and I've just joined the forums.
I've been tossing up whether to buy a Macbook Pro or an iPad for my son for university. The size of the iPad is perfect and the price is also much nicer but I'm not sure if it will have the capabilities for creating and editing word documents, spreadsheets etc.
Apparently the Ipad will not allow tethering with an iPhone but perhaps the iPhone can be jailbroken to allow this ability?
Hopefully I can pick up some info from this site.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome here , concerning you're question the Ipad is less than a MacBook but more than a Netbook .... you're son will need to have a computer at home

OP
V

Vivrichards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome here , concerning you're question the Ipad is less than a MacBook but more than a Netbook .... you're son will need to have a computer at home
Thanks for the reply. At home we have a 24inch iMac so he will be able to sync with it when he arrives home.
Is iWork compatible with Office 2004 which we have installed on our iMac?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad work with office 2004

Thanks for the reply. At home we have a 24inch iMac so he will be able to sync with it when he arrives home.
Is iWork compatible with Office 2004 which we have installed on our iMac?

Of course he is compatible , but i recommend you to have at home also Iwork so it wil be more safe and simple for the Sync ... :D :D

i am sure you're son will be more efficient with this device than with a netbook

Last edited:

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My gut reaction is that an iPad alone won't be sufficient. It will be great for carrying around campus, having ready access to the Web for research, possibly even taking notes in class depending on how comfortable he is with the keyboard, or whether he also wants to take along a bluetooth keyboard, but it just doesn't have the computing power to serve as a primary device. I'd suggest maybe scale down from a Macbook Pro to a regular Macbook and an iPad. You'll get the best of both worlds that way.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I like others feel like the iPad will not suffice for all the work needed at the university level.

Good luck

Cya

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Phil and I've just joined the forums.
I've been tossing up whether to buy a Macbook Pro or an iPad for my son for university. The size of the iPad is perfect and the price is also much nicer but I'm not sure if it will have the capabilities for creating and editing word documents, spreadsheets etc.
Apparently the Ipad will not allow tethering with an iPhone but perhaps the iPhone can be jailbroken to allow this ability?
Hopefully I can pick up some info from this site.

I have a mac book pro it can pretty much do anything. I would recommend the mac book pro but i dont know how good the ipad will be. Welcome to the site btw!:)

OP
V

Vivrichards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I like others feel like the iPad will not suffice for all the work needed at the university level.

Good luck

Cya

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
We might wait a month or so and see if an updated (better value) Macbook Pro is released, at the moment it appears to be a bit overpriced considering it's "age".

Most reactions

Latest posts