What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad for Business: Replacing the notebook?

deachammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been following the iPad launch since conception and I have been very interested in this device. I've had my 32GB 3G model on order quite some time now and I see the power of this device as a business tool. I am an IT Project Manager and I see this tool becoming a part of my IT toolkit. I am just figuring out how this will work and how to best implement it in my daily business life.

One question I have is - is there a way to have this replace my notebook? I use a Franklin to keep a schedule (apple has an answer for this) and to take notes (no answer to this). Ideally I would like to write directly on the face of the ipad and have it convert my notes into text that can synch up with something like Microsoft Notes application. Do you know of any apps that can do this? I think something like this would be a huge commercial success and would be very interested in speaking with developers about starting an app like this. Add a pogo sketch and you can replace even the spiral notebook. Let me know your thoughts or if interested send me a private message!

Note: this is meant to discuss the SPIRAL NOTEBOOK, not the computer kind :)

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think the notes app on the iPad should suffice for taking notes, though it's true it doesn't do any kind of handwriting input... You should become proficient with the on screen keyboard rather quickly I'd imagine (assuming you can type as opposed to hunt & peck).

There may be apps that will accept written input, but given that there's no stylus and you'd have to use your finger to do it, it may not be very practical. In addition, the state of OCR and handwriting still isn't very good, even on a powerful desktop machine.

OP
D

deachammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I have been an longtime iPhone user so I am quite familar with notes, but it is just to Vanilla for a real business user and the onscreen keyboard is awkward when you are in a meeting room with Execs and you need to maintain eye contact and not typing on the onscreen keyboard.

Using a PogoSketch Stylus is ideal as you could just write notes and programatically convert it to text. I understand the tech is not there yet, but I am on here to brainstorm with like minded individuals who see the business benefits of something like a virtual notepad.

On notes, it aalso does not work for a number of reasons:
  1. No sync to Microsoft Notes or similar app
  2. It does not offer tabbed notebooks (to my understanding)
  3. You have to hunt and peck and it looks unprofessional in a meeting to have to type everything that you want to capture...

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is where tactile feedback when typing on the soft keyboard would come in handy. Instead of the audible click-click-clickity-click we are all used to... it would be nice if there was a physical feedback when typing so you wouldn't have to be "watching" your iPad to make sure that keys are registering. If you are a competitent enough typist and you could get touch response back when hitting keys... you should be able to watch and pay attention to your meeting presenter(s) while taking(typing) notes without having to look down at your iPad or lose eye-contact with your presenters. Maybe something like that will be in a gen2? If enough people request it and Apple realizes how much it is wanted/needed... maybe they would put it in there.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I have seen various potential programs that could help take notes, none seem to be ideal. What I would like is a way to set one up for voice recording and then would convert to text. That way I could listen to what is being said and then come back and see it in black and white.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I have seen various potential programs that could help take notes, none seem to be ideal. What I would like is a way to set one up for voice recording and then would convert to text. That way I could listen to what is being said and then come back and see it in black and white.

Have you searched the app store for voice to text or speech to text? It garners many results...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have and I am still digging into the reviews on those. I just have several questions before I decide how to proceed.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have and I am still digging into the reviews on those. I just have several questions before I decide how to proceed.

Well let us know which one seems the best...I have an iPod Touch so I can't use any of them....I will be able to tho once I get my iPad....since it has a mic!

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer your question - Can Ipad replace Notebook = No (not 1st gen Ipad that is).

Everything you wish the Ipad to do any tablet PC can do and in fact have been doing for years.

I have been following the iPad launch since conception and I have been very interested in this device. I've had my 32GB 3G model on order quite some time now and I see the power of this device as a business tool. I am an IT Project Manager and I see this tool becoming a part of my IT toolkit. I am just figuring out how this will work and how to best implement it in my daily business life.

One question I have is - is there a way to have this replace my notebook? I use a Franklin to keep a schedule (apple has an answer for this) and to take notes (no answer to this). Ideally I would like to write directly on the face of the ipad and have it convert my notes into text that can synch up with something like Microsoft Notes application. Do you know of any apps that can do this? I think something like this would be a huge commercial success and would be very interested in speaking with developers about starting an app like this. Add a pogo sketch and you can replace even the spiral notebook. Let me know your thoughts or if interested send me a private message!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer your question - Can Ipad replace Notebook = No (not 1st gen Ipad that is).

Everything you wish the Ipad to do any tablet PC can do and in fact have been doing for years.

Which is why the iPad is not a notebook...it is different...that was actually discussed in the keynote...he said this is inbetween notebook and phone...not a replacement.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iserian,

Spiral Notebook, you know with metal wire, bleached pulped wood fiber media, graphite or ink input, has unlimited battery life! ;)

Well the iPad will connect to Bluetooth keyboards, at least the Apple one. So if you need a more typwrite stlye non-looking notetaker there are options.

As to note pad options you'll likely
be looking for 3rd Party. I've stared trying 2Do Lite which is a Table Calander/toDo/project-tracker. There are other iPod/iPhone aps which will likely see improvements for their iPad versions. OmniFocus is one, won't be out openning day as the OmniGroup is rebuilding it. The Omni suite of Apps will be there along with iWork Apps.

I think any Voice to Text Apps will need to run server side as localy trained one would take up a large amount of space. If you use the Apple Headphones or even 3.5mm cellphone headphone with mic you can try those Apps now. The touch doesn't have a built-in mic but it should be able to use them if attached.

OP
D

deachammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes I am talking about a good ole fashioned write on it style notebook - not the shinny MacBook Pro that I am typing this post with.

If you think about the average business user who jumps from conference room to conference room and is required to participate in those meetings and is not a typist than a traditional keyboard will not only look out of place, but frankly downright rude depending on the audience (click click click goes the keys).

What I would like to see and would pay a lot of money for this app is something that allows me to use a PogoSketch type input device and write just as I would in my ole fashioned notebook. This would allow for complete digital convergence and save a lot of trees in the process. If you make it, I will buy it and so will the 1000's of other business users out there in a similar situation. Some of the best products out there started with a question so to all of the developers reading this thread this is my question and challenge for you:

How do you develop an application with accurate touch based written input that reliably converts the data to text and allows for synching to traditional software tools such as MS OneNote?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you used Inkwell on your MBPro? If you can get your hands on a small writing tablet or borrow on from a friend, you can give Apples HWR software a try.

Apple took the first step when they added chineses character support to iPod/iPhone... but we haven't seen much since. There are a few Apps that try but don't work very well.

Really on the noisy key board? I thought Apple's newer keyboards are down right freakeshly quite compared to most. I guess I just live in a highly typist world. Altough the iPad on keyboard stand can put up quite a barrier. Personlly I'd opt for a smaller wireless keyboard to put in my lap with the pad out on the table flat. That way I can keep eye contact. Then again I normally don't even need to really look at what I'm typing out.

Most reactions

Latest posts