What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo issues

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to delete individual photos which are on the Ipad? Also is it possible to resize them on the iPad before attaching to an email? I don't think we will be very popular if we started sending photos to our daughter where they pay $60 per month for up to 3GB downloads and then they exceed it. Will iCloud overcome this problem to an extent?
We would we grateful for any advice regarding photos as it was already a disappointment for the wife, who is a total computer newbie, when she found out that she would not be able to send photos to the iPad using the Bluetooth on her phone, a Nokia X6, and not to be able to print them off using the BT or wireless connection on the printer, a Epson PX710W.
Thanks for any help.

lizliew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone suggested sending it as an attachment to yourself, the open the email in your ipad. You will then see the pic and can download it. Tiresome i know.. But solves the problem.

OP
S

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone suggested sending it as an attachment to yourself, the open the email in your ipad. You will then see the pic and can download it. Tiresome i know.. But solves the problem.

The concern would be having the data duplicated i.e. attachments in the email section and again in the photos album thus reducing the space on your hard drvie twice as quickly. That is my reasoning but I am open to correction. Not sure if i am correct in thinking this.

BTW can you add a picture to an email after you have composed it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can easily delete individual photos on the iPad if they've not been uploaded as the result of a sync operation using iTunes. Then you have to delete/move them on your PC/Mac first of all and then resynchronise. If they've 'arrived' on your iPad by another route then, in the Gallery view, simply press Edit, select the ones you want to delete, and then choose Delete.

There's also no problem printing from the iPad to that Epson printer. I'll post a message about this immediately after this post.

Resizing the photos too is not a problem. In Photos hit the curly arrow and choose email photo. When the screen comes up with the photo attached, hit the cc line in the address field and you'll be offered the option to resize the photo.

Tim

Is it possible to delete individual photos which are on the Ipad? Also is it possible to resize them on the iPad before attaching to an email? I don't think we will be very popular if we started sending photos to our daughter where they pay $60 per month for up to 3GB downloads and then they exceed it. Will iCloud overcome this problem to an extent?
We would we grateful for any advice regarding photos as it was already a disappointment for the wife, who is a total computer newbie, when she found out that she would not be able to send photos to the iPad using the Bluetooth on her phone, a Nokia X6, and not to be able to print them off using the BT or wireless connection on the printer, a Epson PX710W.
Thanks for any help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple have their own proprietary printing protocol called 'AirPrint'. Only a few printers support it at present - HP is one of those that do and you can see if your model is on the list at the Apple web site

Apple - iPad 2 - Print right from your iPad with AirPrint.

If it is there, then you can print directly under iOS 4.2 and 4.3 from apps that support in-app printing, such as Apple's iPad iWorks suite ('Pages', 'Numbers' and 'Keynote'). Not all apps support in-app printing, so you need to check out whether the app you're interested in does. For example, Apple's native iPad 'Calendar' app does not support in-app printing.

If your printer is not on the list then there are third-party apps that can help. Some printer manufacturers have released apps for PCs with their printers connected (i.e. Lexmark). On these models, an app on your PC or Mac 'pretends' to be an AirPrint printer and the app translates the AirPrint printing protocol into a form that the printer understands.

However, there are standalone apps for the iPad and 'Print N Share' is one of the best known. It can print directly from the iPad to a WiFi printer without any PC being involved. It does this by 'pretending' to be an AirPrint printer. It then, similar to the previous case, translates the AirPrint printing protocol to a form that your printer understands.

Most all WiFi equipped printers are supported by 'Print N Share' but even those few that are not are able to print via a PC using, again, a small (free) app that's available from the developers of 'Print N Share'. Once again, this app sits on your PC or Mac and links your iPad to the printer via your PC - meaning, too, that the printer can be WiFi, USB or even Bluetooth. The downside is that the PC has to be switched on.

One 'issue' that sometimes confounds users of 'Print N Share' is that this only works under iOS 4.2 or 4.3 - the iPad's 'multi-tasking' operating system (OS). 'Print N Share' needs to be loaded and running before you can print!! So, if you're going to be doing some printing, you need to first of all fire up 'Print N Share' and leave it running in the background. You can check whether it is running by double tapping the iPad's 'Home' button, to see the tasks that are 'loaded' in the 'Multi-task' menu bar. For various reasons, it's helpful if 'Print N Share' was loaded quite recently. If you haven't printed for a while, use the multi-task bar to 're-activate' it.

If you're happy to leave your PC switched on then another - and probably better - way forward is to use a PC program called FingerPrint. This is a program that runs on your PC and makes it 'look' like an AirPrint printer. It's as close as you'll get to plug-and-play printing for non-AirPrint printers. You simply download the program (there's a free 7-day version available so you can try it at no risk), install it, start the program (it automatically inserts itself into the PC's startup menu) choose the printers you want to offer to the iPad - it shows you the usual list that you get from a regular Windows print dialog box - and that's it. When you want to print on your iPad (there's no separate app for the iPad) you simply choose the print menu in apps that support in-app printing and FingerPrint makes your PC look like an AirPrint printer. You'll be offered, in the iPad, the choice of printers that you selected on the PC and off you go. FingerPrint receives the printing data from the iPad over WiFi and translates it into a form that your printer understands. I have it on my PC and it works just great.

Hope this helps, but don't hesitate to post any more detailed questions that you might have.

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim for two very informative replies. I just need to prise the iPad out of the wife's hands and then have a go. Can you add a photo after you have composed, but not sent the email. She is using Gmail. Thanks again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - you have to add the photo first from within the Photo app. From within the Mail app there is no way to add an attachment.

Tim

OP
S

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they've 'arrived' on your iPad by another route then, in the Gallery view, simply press Edit, select the ones you want to delete, and then choose Delete.
Tim
Please excuse my ignorance in this matter as I am on a steep learniing curve and I am not an IT expert. Photos were upload via iTunes onto iPad into photos. If I read it correctly, I have to go into the folder on my PC, delete the photos and then resync them as there is not the facility on the iPad to simply delete them? I am not that familar with the operation of iTunes as only started using it when I got the iPad for the missus. Can you view the photos in iTunes and delete them there? Thanks again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct! That's exactly what you have to do.....however the new iPad operating system, iOS5 is released in two days and these restrictions don't apply there, so it might be worth waiting, then upgrading (it's free) then your life will be a lot easier...

Tim

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter as I am on a steep learniing curve and I am not an IT expert. Photos were upload via iTunes onto iPad into photos. If I read it correctly, I have to go into the folder on my PC, delete the photos and then resync them as there is not the facility on the iPad to simply delete them? I am not that familar with the operation of iTunes as only started using it when I got the iPad for the missus. Can you view the photos in iTunes and delete them there? Thanks again.

OP
S

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again and for the advice abnout the IOS 5. We will wait for it.

Last edited:

tommy59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just returned from a vacation in South America where between myself and other we took 2500 pictures that I have now on my IPad. I have my pictures on a memory card, but the others were loaded from other people. So my question is how do I transfer them to my PC? I thought synching to I tunes would do it but I could not find them following the synch to the PC. I want to get them onto the PC to have a back- up of al the photos. Any help would be appreciated.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have and answer to the last question and a question about a previous issue.

(Probably the last question should have been asked in a separate thread)

If you connect the iPad to the computer (as for syncing), you should be able to see (such as when using a Windows PC) the iPad as a camera device or other memory/drive device in My Computer. You can move any photos or videos contained in the folder you find there off to some place on the PC (just like you would do with any other camera/memory device). It's unfortunate that one can not do the reverse, and move photos from a PC to the iPad... NUTS!

(other question going out on another thread)

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have and answer to the last question and a question about a previous issue.

(Probably the last question should have been asked in a separate thread)

If you connect the iPad to the computer (as for syncing), you should be able to see (such as when using a Windows PC) the iPad as a camera device or other memory/drive device in My Computer. You can move any photos or videos contained in the folder you find there off to some place on the PC (just like you would do with any other camera/memory device). It's unfortunate that one can not do the reverse, and move photos from a PC to the iPad... NUTS!

(other question going out on another thread)

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thanks and maybe this should be also listed under "Tips".

Bukk122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can a person delete individual photos from the ipad photo icon without deleting them from a separate photo app they have been copied to? When I try to delete them now, I get prompted asking if this photo should be deleted from all albums it is currently in. I just want it deleted from the iPad photo app, but not the secondary album it was copied too.

Most reactions

Latest posts