What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad doesn't ship with iBookstore by default

smudgeyjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would this be? This seems like one of the default apps that people would use the iPad for. Waiting for enlightenment.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I understand there are 2 reasons. The technical reason is that a single app can be very easily updated with new features, fixes, etc. much easier than having to download and install a complete OS update as is the case with the "standard" bundled apps such as on the iPhone.

I believe a bigger reason for doing this is to make companies like Amazon a little less inclined to scream. Since you'll have to search out and download the reader application, Amazon will have "equal footing" when the release their Kindle app for the iPad, which I'm certain will be ready to go on launch day.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would this be? This seems like one of the default apps that people would use the iPad for. Waiting for enlightenment.

Do you have a source for your statement, so that others may read too what your subject is about?

My Thoughts are it will be part of iTunes in the way of a helper app. My own iTunes app has been moved so far from my home screen on the iPhones I use, since I mainly purchase or obtain my apps via iTunes.

The iBookstore however once on my iPad, will be my main source for both searching and buying books from the store, not via iBookstore in iTunes.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If keeping it a separate app makes it easier to update it with newer features at a faster pace, I'm all for it :)

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It also neatly avoids the IE entrapment argument and anti-trust (we know the EU is big on hitting US corps with that book. Not that I object :D )

iMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I understand there are 2 reasons. The technical reason is that a single app can be very easily updated with new features, fixes, etc. much easier than having to download and install a complete OS update as is the case with the "standard" bundled apps such as on the iPhone.

I believe a bigger reason for doing this is to make companies like Amazon a little less inclined to scream. Since you'll have to search out and download the reader application, Amazon will have "equal footing" when the release their Kindle app for the iPad, which I'm certain will be ready to go on launch day.

I totally agree with both points made, particularly the second point regarding "equal footing". This is a very smart move on Apple's part because it basically avoids all potential law suits regarding fair play. Competition is good for everyone and everyone wins.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad copyright

Tim if you add the questions of the copyright .... you all have all reasons they have for made this choice , witch is not a big problem at all

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iBooks app for iPad including Apple’s iBookstore will be available as a free download from the App Store in the US on April 3, with additional countries added later this year.
This is from Apple's latest release that you'll find in our NEWS section here.

LarryT63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's a wrong assumption that it won't ship on the device.... I think what Apple is saying is that you will be able to download it for the iPhone on that date :)

I'm sure Apple will have other default apps that we didn't see at the introduction, app store, itunes store etc... they all have to be re-written to take advantage of the new screen real estate.

Time will tell, but I'll bet ya it will be on there. They want people downloading books A.S.A.P! Also don't count out a free book or two on there to start!

Most reactions

Latest posts