What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Could Have 61 percent of Tablet Market by End of 2011

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_backlight.JPG

MacWorld reports today on a DigiTimes survey that says that overall tablet shipments for the second half of 2011 will be up by 150 percent on the previous year, and that Apple will have sold 25.5 million iPads from the beginning of July to the end of December 2011, which would be an increase of 76 percent from the same time period in 2010. DigiTimes says that in total, it expects Apple to sell 40 million iPads in 2011, giving it a 61 percent market share.

The DigiTimes survey also says that non-iPad tablet shipments in the second half of 2011 should reach 15.65 million, which would be up by 65 percent from the first half of 2011, making up 39 percent of total tablet shipments.

However, DigiTimes does add a note of caution, saying that there are still some uncertainties surrounding tablet shipment figures towards the end of the year, and that Q4 will be very much the deciding quarter, with tablet strategy from key players such as Apple still undetermined for the end of the year. For example, it’s still not certain whether or not Apple might actually release the iPad 3 by the end of the year, which would obviously make a big difference in terms of projected figures.

Source: Apple iPad to grab 61 percent of 2011 tablet market - Business - Macworld UK

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is misleading because most of the non-Apple pads are the sub $100 Chinese ones with resistive screens and extra-slow processors. I'll bet Apple has close to 90% of the market based on value.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This particular Tablet Market segment they talk about includes the industrial and consumer markets. Its a very poor indicator of Apples strength in the consumer market and has been dominated by the commercial segment for over a decade.

Apple basically defined the consumer portion of this market with the release of the iPad and still holds a 95% market share.

The iPad is not aimed at the industrial market segment, which really dominated tablet sales until the release of the iPad.

-t

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I had no idea t. What manufacturers were making the industrials? Now I wanna know? (I should go read the article! :) )
This particular Tablet Market segment they talk about includes the industrial and consumer markets. Its a very poor indicator of Apples strength in the consumer market and has been dominated by the commercial segment for over a decade.

Apple basically defined the consumer portion of this market with the release of the iPad and still holds a 95% market share.

The iPad is not aimed at the industrial market segment, which really dominated tablet sales until the release of the iPad.

-t

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Our current supplier is Avantech. We just deployed 350 tablet PCs in a factory in China. These devices all fall into the Tablet Segment...

-t

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think is more than that no mention Christmass is on the way..!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions