What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad connects to Wi-Fi but no internet

Aussiemarco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - I really hope someone can help, I'm at my wit's end here ... I've never had this problem in almost 3 years of Ipad ownership.

My Ipad 2 can connect to the Wi-Fi, but it suddenly stopped accessing the internet. When I do a hard shut-down, it connects to the internet for about 5 seconds, then stops working again. I've done everything these forums and others have said, all to no avail. But every time I shut it down and turn it back on, or turn off Wi-Fi then turn Wi-Fi back on, it connects to the internet for 5 seconds or so, then stops working. Turning the router off and back on doesn't help either.

It worked perfectly until I went to the Survey Monkey website to complete a survey for work. When I tried to send off the completed survey, that's when all this started. So I'm not sure if something has upset the Ipad on that site, or even a virus has gotten into it - is this even possible?

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the router, I'm sending this post via the old laptop connected to the Wi-Fi, so its something inside the Ipad that's not happy.

I'm begging for a massive help!!!! I'm driven to distraction now!!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Ipad 2 running iOS 6.1.3

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Aussiemarco. You have covered a lot, but there should be a solution. I don't have much besides what you have already attempted but maybe here's something you could try:
Settings>WiFi then tap on your Service Provider's Account. At the bottom do you have "HTTP Proxy" on "Auto"? Change that to "Off". Fingers Crossed:)
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

OP
A

Aussiemarco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem fixed!!

In desperation, I turned the router off and on a couple more times, and that solved it. God knows what caused the problem, must have been some gremlins inside the Ipad causing havoc.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In desperation, I turned the router off and on a couple more times, and that solved it. God knows what caused the problem, must have been some gremlins inside the Ipad causing havoc.

I suspect it was an IP conflict. The router reset solved it, but it could happen again. You can set the IP manually and it won't happen. Google "setting manual IP"

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it happens again try to renew your iPad's lease with the router. If you restrict your dynamic IP addresses your router controls and keep about 10 to 25 free at the low end you can do as offered above, by Chinajon, set the iPad to a static address.

The IP addresses should be available from the router's internal address (xxx.xxx.xxx.1 normally) and keep on the same subnet (255.255.255.0 normally).

For example, if the router's internal address is 10.1.1.1 then set it to use 10.1.1.25 through 10.1.1.100 for dynamically controlled addresses and you can set the iPad for any of them that is not already assigned from 10.1.1.2 through 10.1.1.24.

I try to use 192.168.xxx.xxx for home networks unless you plan on building a massive internal network (I mean really massive). Mostly I use 192.168.1.xxx which gives the router and 254 additional connections.

192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255 (you only get 256 which ranges from 0 to 255)

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well, that was going to be my suggestion - just a little late since you already solved your problem - when I lose Wi-Fi on my home network, I first reboot my ISP modem - invariably solves the problem - if not, then I'll reboot my Apple Extreme router (rarely needed) - in the future, make sure that you reboot both your modem first and then your router unless you know which one is the issue. Dave :)

Glee234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Aussiemarco. You have covered a lot, but there should be a solution. I don't have much besides what you have already attempted but maybe here's something you could try:
Settings>WiFi then tap on your Service Provider's Account. At the bottom do you have "HTTP Proxy" on "Auto"? Change that to "Off". Fingers Crossed:)
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk
Hi, I am having a terrible time staying connected to the Internet. I had zero problems until a couple of Apple updates. I checked my HTTP proxy. Mine has been off. Does not seem to be my problem. I've tried
everything I've seen on the forum.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I am having a terrible time staying connected to the Internet. I had zero problems until a couple of Apple updates. I checked my HTTP proxy. Mine has been off. Does not seem to be my problem. I've tried
everything I've seen on the forum.
Just to confirm that you have tried the following... A process of elimination for members to try to assist further.
~~ Have you tried giradman's excellent suggestion in the post just above yours. That really does work most of the time. Switch off as instructed, wait at least 30 secs. And switch/connect back on
~~ these too have been steps to take quite successful on the forum, especially after a system update:
** Reset your iPad: Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Keep holding both until the Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
** Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to requirement.
Let's know if you have eliminated these. If so, there is bound to be an answer forthcoming from the great bunch of knowledgable members posting on this forum.
Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts