What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad closing down - frequently

Tony2709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can any provide me with a clue as to why my iPad (1) keeps closing down opened situations like browsing when in use? I have tried a re-set, but no change to fault. Any help
appreciate. Thank you.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'Settings', 'General', 'Autolock' and then set a longer time. Hopefully that's the problem, but if it wasn't, let us know.

Tim

Mitten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 has the same issue, started recently. For example, I'll click on an app and it appears to be opening, but then it reverts to the app list page. After 1 or 2 tries, generally the app will open, but not always.

Have had this happen on Angry Birds, Slate, Huff Post, NYTimes, the Weather Channel app and others. I have the 16 G iPad w 3G, updated/synced regularly, and note that I'm down to 2.5G of available space.

Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@ Mitten: Normally a restart wil fix this kind of behavior. When that does not work a reset may work. Finally if all else fails you end up doing a restore, and/or going to Apple Support. Let's try the first two first. They won't harm anything on the iPad, and work most of the time.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

@Tony: You may be in for a restore, or a call to Apple. I'd give the reset one more try first. If you are still within your first 90 days of owning the iPad, you have free tech support from Apple. If you bought their Apple Care package, you've got three years of it.

If you choose to restore the iPad, be very careful to backup all your files first. Any files not stored (and visible) directly in iTunes are at risk. They should be recovered when you do a backup, restore, then restore from backup, but it is not wise to take chances.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts