What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad class action

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it sounds fair to me. However I'm sure they are going to limit claims to people who purchased a 3G enabled device prior to the announcement of the data package pricing change.

As they advertised the device to be easily switched from 250mb to unlimited month to month, no contract.

OP
F

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, they seek to expand the class to all those who ordered the 3G model on or before the June 6th change date.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking about ordering 3G models, but changed my mind as I was buying 2 iPads, so went WiFi to keep the cost down.

Maybe AT&T can join to sue themselves for the lost 3G revenue they might have had if I had bought?

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1. Didnt ATT grandfather the unlimited plan for all purchases made before they announced the change?

2. Class action suits are all about getting you a few dollars and the lawyers millions.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Didnt ATT grandfather the unlimited plan for all purchases made before they announced the change?

2. Class action suits are all about getting you a few dollars and the lawyers millions.

That is for the iPhone users, who can't flip-flop like the iPad was advertised for. If you kept your iPad on unlimited your probably fine, but if you turned it off or dropped to the lower 200-250mb, you prob can't go back to unlimited.....your stuck with 2G for 25$

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would join. Had ATT waited a year to do this - OK - I might understand. This looks a lot like bait and switch. I also think Apple knew about this as well - there's all kinds of business arrangements and contractual obligations between Apple and ATT.

Even if they sent me a five dollar bill - I would feel good knowing that Apple had to pay a huge settlement because of this dishonesty.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Payment will probably be in the form of iTunes gift cards.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though the iPad is such a revolutionary product - I continually try to remember that apple is just a business - and it run by BCA's (business criminal a$$holes).

Just look at what's going on right now with the iPhone4 -- I've heard continual bad press every hour on the news - about dropping calls or diminished signal when the unit is picked up in your hand. I don't think there's anything that you can say that would convince me that they didn't discover this problem the first week of unit testing. Yet I'm sure they weighed the consequences and decided to deploy anyway. Typical BCA's - taking this level of risk with shareholders money. Bad decision - now they've tarnished their reputation which was priceless.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though the iPad is such a revolutionary product - I continually try to remember that apple is just a business - and it run by BCA's (business criminal a$$holes).

Just look at what's going on right now with the iPhone4 -- I've heard continual bad press every hour on the news - about dropping calls or diminished signal when the unit is picked up in your hand. I don't think there's anything that you can say that would convince me that they didn't discover this problem the first week of unit testing. Yet I'm sure they weighed the consequences and decided to deploy anyway. Typical BCA's - taking this level of risk with shareholders money. Bad decision - now they've tarnished their reputation which was priceless.

They prob had too much R&D into the phone to make any drastic changes at the point it was getting put into production.

Kinda a coincidence that for the first time in iPhone history, Apple releases a 'bumper' case that would completely cover the antenna and reduce the drop call problem?

mypicture1u.jpg

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would put most of the blame of this on ATT, though you can be sure Apple probably knew this was coming and advertised unlimited anyway. I would imagine ATT had come to them in advance about wanting to do away with unlimited data. Apple's response was probably something along the lines of "just wait until after the iPad release to cut it". They waited... like 5 weeks :D

Yes, Apple is just as much "the man" as Microsoft ever was. Now that they are gaining market share, its becoming more difficult to pretend to be the innocent "little guy".

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple hit both a grand slam and had a perfect game with the iPad. Then the Mac Mini as well as OS4. Look what their stock had been doing.

Then to come out with the ATT thing and a turd of a phone back to back? What gets me is that Steve said "then don't pick it up that way" when addressing the call dropping issue.

I heard someone on a business channel say something to the effect of 'so you've got to buy a $24.95 case to make the phone work?' This is equivalent to losing tens of millions of dollars in reputation. They would have been much better off if they gave everyone who bought an iPhone the case for free. It would have made them look like a stand up company.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
They would have been much better off if they gave everyone who bought an iPhone the case for free. It would have made them look like a stand up company.

You're completely right on this one. Will the sales of the phone drop as a result of the actions? Not by much, but there will be a public perception hit that will cost them down the road. That wasn't a smart thing to say on Job's behalf, nor is the answer intelligent. Usually he's smarter than this.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see anyone getting out of the phone waiting lines either.

Just give away the bumpers for free. I'm sure they cost .32c to make as it is....

Most reactions