What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad charge faster if turned off?

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shutting it down or putting it into sleep mode will allow it to charge faster.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have stats on this? I charge my iPad every night and have plenty of juice to make it through a day without charging. And that is with heavy use. I never turn the iPad off, and I suspect charging with the power off doesn't make a very big difference.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also never turn my iPad off, even when I am charging it. Once in awhile I let it drain down to the point where it shuts off, but other than that, I usually put it on the charger (the one that came with it) when the batter level drops below 50%. Supposedly, these batteries don't have a "memory" like the old NiCad batteries used to have.

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have stats on this? I charge my iPad every night and have plenty of juice to make it through a day without charging. And that is with heavy use. I never turn the iPad off, and I suspect charging with the power off doesn't make a very big difference.

Sleep mode doesn't use much power so there probably isn't much difference between charging while sleeping or off. There is a significant difference in charging rate if you charge the unit while using it, which is what I thought the original poster might have been asking..

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I wanted to know is if I turn it off, will it charge faster, back to 100%, as opposed to leaving it on and charging it.

My cell phones charge faster if I turn them off. I think.:eek:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't seen the specs or taken any measurements, but my guess is the iPad has a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery with a capacity of ~6,000mAh. The discharge rate appears to be ~0.1C, and the charge rate ~0.5C.

If that is correct, you would expect charging to take ~20% longer with the iPad left switched on than it would if it was switched off. I stress that is just a guess.

The battery will have integral protection circuitry to prevent overcharging and over-discharging. These batteries have no 'memory effect', and don't mind frequent top-up charging. If you run your iPad down to empty, it is best for the battery to recharge it sooner rather than later, as leaving the battery in a discharged state for a prolonged period will shorten its life.

If you have to store it unused for prolonged period (such as a month or more) store it at 50-75%, rather than full or empty.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple seems to force the iPad and iPhone to turn on when you plug them in and it's a nuisance then having to turn them off so I've just given up and leave them on. It probably makes an immaterial difference.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have to store it unused for prolonged period (such as a month or more) store it at 50-75%, rather than full or empty.

You seem to be very wise. And smart. Thanks for your imput!

Apple seems to force the iPad and iPhone to turn on when you plug them in and it's a nuisance then having to turn them off so I've just given up and leave them on. It probably makes an immaterial difference.

I knew it wasn't me! It does do that! I thought I was losin it ~ I knew I turned it off then I would plug it in to charge and it would come back on or appear on later....

I knew it.:D

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one can charge any iPad that is completely off!

What I wanted to know is if I turn it off, will it charge faster, back to 100%, as opposed to leaving it on and charging it.

My cell phones charge faster if I turn them off. I think.:eek:

No one can charge any iPad that is completely off! It must be on in the sleep mode to charge.

You can turn off all the radios that poll in the sleep mode and it will charge faster.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one can charge any iPad that is completely off! It must be on in the sleep mode to charge.

You can turn off all the radios that poll in the sleep mode and it will charge faster.
Please quote your source for this information!

As has been said, plugging the iPad into the charger (or the USB port on your computer) will turn it on if it is off, but after it is plugged into the charger, you can absolutely turn the iPad completely off.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you are saying all the times I turn it off to charge it, it really is not off?

Yup

The only time the iPad is really OFF is when you slide the red button right and then get the Apple rotating wheel indicating the iPad is cleaning up memory. If you plug an iPad in while in this totally off state it will come on as seen by the appearance of the Apple logo and after a bit it will go to sleep mode and will be charging.

If you are less than ten percent charge you will not be able to do anything until the iPad passes ten percent on the recharge.

Most reactions