What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Case Reviews

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first thing to mind when I saw the official Apple protective case, was it reminded me of those old school 3-ring notebook binders, the ones that were made of plastic and the more you opened or closed them, eventually the edges or folds started to tear.

binder.jpg

Hopefully this case ( I pre ordered one from Apple) will stand up to the daily use and not be a cumbersome one to use. I ordered it more as a stand for viewing or watching video when the keyboard dock is not near, rather than as a protective cover.

I'm one of those who likes my iPhones native in my hand and carried them in holsters on my belt, which most often wont work with a protective plastic case on the phone and still fit into your carrying holster. Plus I think the iPhones were sexy and thin enough of a design already without adding some form of bulk to them by using a protective case. I saw someone say earlier, that those who "love" their device know it and will use these covers for protecting them.
Sorry, but that made me laugh, I have seen numerous users bring in iPhones or Touches which were ruined from dropping, stepping on, or drowning their device. Nothing most cases or even using natively would have curbed most of the time. It's more rather how you think when using it, and not being side tracked or paying attention, almost like the more you worry about damaging your gadget the more apt you are to achieve it.

I think it's more of a personalization of the device or a statement, other than actual protection for most people. If you "love" your device so much you will know how to take care of it and use it responsibly without the need for such protective coverings. Are some stylish?, yes, but so is the original design all by itself.

Im also more apt to use a carry tote or sleeve than I am to use something that would form fit the device and make it more bulk than original, especially some of the cheap looking yet expensive coverings out there.

Last edited:

Eeyore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first thing to mind when I saw the official Apple protective case, was it reminded me of those old school 3-ring notebook binders, the ones that were made of plastic and the more you opened or closed them, eventually the edges or folds started to tear.

binder.jpg

Hopefully this case ( I pre ordered one from Apple) will stand up to the daily use and not be a cumbersome one to use. I ordered it more as a stand for viewing or watching video when the keyboard dock is not near, rather than as a protective cover.

This site has some good close-up pictures of the Apple ipad case.

First Looks: Apple iPad Case | iLounge

AbblePC, I think you might be right; looks like the 3-ring binders we use at work. :D

All the best.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to get the official binder case regardless of whether you plan on getting a courier bag or sleeve for it.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score

binder.jpg

This site has some good close-up pictures of the Apple ipad case.

First Looks: Apple iPad Case | iLounge

AbblePC, I think you might be right; looks like the 3-ring binders we use at work. :D

All the best.

Thats awesome, thanks for those pics! :)

bap11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Take on a Case

When I bought the Touch, I bought a flip open suade case which was very attractive. But it added a lot of bulk. I bought a 2nd case which was thinner, but somehow felt that the flip open cover was a little arkward using with a touch device, plus I had to remove the case for use in the car. I finally bought a 3rd case which was rubberized with a waffle-iron textured back and sides, and was not a flip open case. Very easy on and off with full access to the controls. I got a screen protector and found that to be the best combination for how I like to use the Touch. Very lightweight, no added bulk, fairly protected (although I do tend to be careful), and, most importantly, it won't slip out of my hand when I grab for it. That's what I'll be getting for the IPAD, especially given the size and weight of the IPAD.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The cases look sexy for this. But i usually don't use cases unless someone like my little cousins want to use it.

iRichard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man there are so many nice cases to look at already. But I think I will wait to see what you guys say about your cases after you've had some time to try them out. So be sure to post your thoughts once you get them. I'm waiting on the 3G version anyway, so I can wait for a case.

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats one advantage of the 3G version (I'm also getting the 3G iPad), is when we get our iPad, there will be more accessories for it. I ordered the apple case, but I still want a bag for the iPad (when I travel); Something small that won't look like a purse.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A co-worker ordered a 3G and his case is said to arrive on April 3rd....i ordered my wifi and I won't get it till the 20th....now thats not very fair! Should have been wifi orders first since we'll be getting ours first!!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen numerous users bring in iPhones or Touches which were ruined from dropping, stepping on, or drowning their device. Nothing most cases or even using natively would have curbed most of the time. It's more rather how you think when using it, and not being side tracked or paying attention, almost like the more you worry about damaging your gadget the more apt you are to achieve it.

I think it's more of a personalization of the device or a statement, other than actual protection for most people. If you "love" your device so much you will know how to take care of it and use it responsibly without the need for such protective coverings. Are some stylish?, yes, but so is the original design all by itself.

Im also more apt to use a carry tote or sleeve than I am to use something that would form fit the device and make it more bulk than original, especially some of the cheap looking yet expensive coverings out there.
First rule of thought here is not NEVER lend your iPad to a member of your family...:p

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Makes me wonder about the fit of the cases, when they're out so early, even before the actual device.

I mean they get some conceptual measurements on the website, but still, without the actual real device, it's kinda gonna be a little off in fit right?

I can relate. I ordered the Hard Candy case for the iPad. Their site has a very convincing image of an actual iPad securely stored within it's rubberized grips.I am sure they've made mock ups or CG created versions for the graphic...but since apple released the tech specs, it seems apple encourages the 3rd party folk to begin the push to house the blessed ipad early :)

For some cases it says it ships March 27th...others it just says March.

Either way...I'm happy with my selection.

skrat982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that I will just wait awhile on a case. I am anxious to get my iPad, but not really sure how I am going to handle it, what positions will work best for me and how often that I will use it outside my home. These and other considerations don't help me much to decide what I want in a case. A couple of weeks experience and I'll know what I want and I suspect there will be a pretty good indication of what most of the choices of cases will be like.:D

publicfarley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that one requires two cases for the iPad:

1) A bag for carrying the iPad around during commutes, etc. in a hands-free kind of way. For that, I have ordered the Case Logic E-Sling- Small (Case Logic E-Sling- Small > Laptop > Case Logic).

2) A form-fitting case (like the Apple iPad case) that allows the iPad to be propped up at different angles on a table, etc. This will facilitate a better video watching and typing experience. For this case, I'm waiting to see how the market matures and which options appear after the first little while after the iPad launch. I'm leaning toward the Apple iPad case for this purpose (Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.) (near bottom of page), but I also find products like the Quirky Cloak (quirky | Cloak) and the Macally BookStand (BookStand Macally Peripherals) intriguing.

Decisions, decisions…..

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The E-Sling case looks good as well as their Netbook Attache case. I would like a bag with a little more protection. I live in New York and I can see someone in the subway accidentally smashing into my iPad (I then get arrested for manslaughter :D). STM has a nice bag with a hard shell interior (STM case). An iPad version of this case would be perfect.

Most reactions