What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad case, folio case better than Smartcover

lomus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have trying to find a case for my own iPad long ago. Recently I have smartcover for my iPad, but I’m not quite satisfied with it as it could not protect the back of the iPad. A week ago I bought a folio case. I’m happy with its functions. Comparing two types of cases the folio case is much better and convenient. Both cases could wake IPad when open the cover and sleep by closing it. They also could stand the iPad up. Angles could be adjusted by the users. It’s quite handy for people who need to use for a long period as bending down the neck too long is not healthy to people. However, the best thing I like the folio case the most is it got band for me to tie up the case in order not to fell over. Smartcover could not have such a function and the price of this case is reasonable only US$59.99. I have bought white one. Yellow and pink is another option. Nice case isn’t it?

Attachments

• 640x460_uc_ipad2_luminous_we_packet.JPG
    640x460_uc_ipad2_luminous_we_packet.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 620
  • 640x460_uc_ipad2_luminous_we_2.jpg
    640x460_uc_ipad2_luminous_we_2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 582
  • 640x460_uc_ipad2_luminous_we_6.jpg
    640x460_uc_ipad2_luminous_we_6.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 684

poggs38

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lomus said:
I have trying to find a case for my own iPad long ago. Recently I have smartcover for my iPad, but I’m not quite satisfied with it as it could not protect the back of the iPad. A week ago I bought a folio case. I’m happy with its functions. Comparing two types of cases the folio case is much better and convenient. Both cases could wake IPad when open the cover and sleep by closing it. They also could stand the iPad up. Angles could be adjusted by the users. It’s quite handy for people who need to use for a long period as bending down the neck too long is not healthy to people. However, the best thing I like the folio case the most is it got band for me to tie up the case in order not to fell over. Smartcover could not have such a function and the price of this case is reasonable only US$59.99. I have bought white one. Yellow and pink is another option. Nice case isn’t it?

Looks pretty good to me. I also wanted complete protection without bulk, so I bought the Yoobao slim leather case for IPad 2. Very happy

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started with some cheap fake leather case from Amazon. The magnet was weak and it was bulkier than I liked, so I ended up with a smart-cover compatible back and a smart cover. It's been great for the past few weeks for me and I couldn't be happier.

aaronhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"I started with some cheap fake leather case from Amazon. The magnet was weak and it was bulkier than I liked, so I ended up with a smart-cover compatible back and a smart cover. It's been great for the past few weeks for me and I couldn't be happier. "

I typically don't trust most of the cases on Ebay and Amazon. I have bought several third party cases, all from companies with their own website. I think if companies have their own website, they seem more trustworthy. Check these out if you haven't yet: otterbox.com, zagg.com, zoogue.com, yourtabletcase.com, marware.com, mophie.com. All have own websites and good reviews from customers.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had my leather smart cover (from the Apple Store) for just 4 months but it is already looking battered and worn. It works just fine but anyone who saw it would think I'd had my iPad for a year.

Because my mobile business case where I store my iPad is only minimally water resistant and the smart cover is looking too well loved, I decided on an extra layer that would also provide water resistant protection.

I bought a sleeve from a seller on the Etsy website. I love the pattern and it is a perfect fit for my iPad 2 with a smart cover and the hard shell back, but because the outer fabric is made of cotton, it soaks up water like a sponge and that is quite disturbing, especially since the lining is marketed as water resistant as opposed to waterproof.

For now, I'm back to using a gallon sized Hefty One Zip freezer bag to now protect the sleeve plus the iPad on rainy days, (an idea I got from other forum members) as opposed to the expensive waterproof plastic sleeves available online. I've done a water test on a regular Hefty One Zip: I filled a bag half full with water and not a drop escaped from the zippered section. I can also continue using my iPad, e.g., for scrolling, typing etc., with the iPad inside the freezer bag, so I've stopped my search for water resistant protection.

In the meantime, because the smart cover itself looks so bad, I'm probably going to buy an Apple iPad 2 Cherry Blossom Axis Case with Sleep/Wake at the JAVOedge website (another forum member's suggestion) once I can make up my mind about the color.

In case anyone is curious, the smart cover of that JAVOedge case can double as a stand that you can set at different angles like the one in the first post in this thread.

ShrekonDeck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like folio cases too, but I cant say they're better than smart covers. The beauty if the smart cover is that you can take it on and off as you please, whereas with the folio, the flaps are sort of dangling as youre holding it. I think a good combo is a smart cover+snap on case.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ShrekonDeck said:
I like folio cases too, but I cant say they're better than smart covers. The beauty if the smart cover is that you can take it on and off as you please, whereas with the folio, the flaps are sort of dangling as youre holding it. I think a good combo is a smart cover+snap on case.

I do see that as being a potential annoyance if I switch to the folio case I have in mind, especially as I am so comfortable just flipping back the smart cover when I put the iPad in the Origami Workstation that I use on a daily basis at work.

I just wish my smart cover had been able to stand up better to the wear and tear of daily use.

Most reactions

Latest posts