What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Battery

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It takes me abut 3 hours to get 100% from 0%, sometimes longer because I us the iPad while it's charging

A quick couple questions for you:

1. Are you charging it through a computer's USB port?

2. Are you using an iPhone or iPod touch's charging adapter instead of the larger, more powerful charging unit that came with the iPad?

3. Have you recently used any travel voltage/amperage adapters with your iPad?

The iPad will still charge via USB or with chargers designed for the iPhone/iPod, however, the wattage is twice that compared to the one included with an iPhone, and has a higher amperage rating (2.1A). USB ports also work, but charge at a slower rate than using the supplied charger.

If you using the charger that came with your iPad, and are noticing longer than usual charging times, make an appointment with your nearest Apple store's Genius Bar, where they can check it for you. Make sure you do one last sync with your computer before going, as they may replace your iPad under warranty if it indeed is not taking a charge properly.

After my wife traveled to Europe with our iPad, upon returning to the US, we noticed that our ipad was intermittently taking a charge and/or charging very slowly - so we made an appt at our closest Apple store's Genius bar, and upon verifying the charging problem, replaced my iPad with a new one.

I cannot tell you what they will do for you when you go and see them, as it is up to the techs that look at your device, but they have the tools and the knowhow to diagnose and troubleshoot Apple products better than anyone.

i charge through the mains, and i am sure my ipad didnt come with a charger, just a usb cable, do you have a picture of what charger you are talking about so i can be certain.

:)

This is the charger that is supplied in all US sold iPad boxes:

Apple-iPad-Charger-500x500.jpg

Apple said:
Charging Tips

The quickest way to charge your iPad is with the included 10W USB Power Adapter. iPad will also charge, although more slowly, when attached to a computer with a high-power USB port (many recent Mac computers) or with an iPhone Power Adapter.

When attached to a computer via a standard USB port (most PCs or older Mac computers) iPad will charge, but only when it's in sleep mode. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad via USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Apple iPad 10W USB Power Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Last edited:

Egika

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a little question. I'm a proud owner of an Ipad. Bought it couple of months ago. usually I'm waiting till the battery is dead to fully charge it again and I'm charging it to full (100%) every time. Unfortunately, this morning when my Ipad was still plugged, someone from my family unplugged the charger when the battery was only 60% charged. How it will affect Ipad's battery life? I'm really concerned. Thanks for your help guys:)

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing to be concerned about. The Li-Po battery is memory-free, and can be charged from any %. Apple does recommend a full power cycle at least once a month. They also recommend not to leave it charged constantly, as the electrons need to keep flowing.

Your battery is designed to last approximately 1000 full charge cycles. Disconnecting mid-cycle won't harm yor battery life, and does not count as a full charge cycle.

Here is a link directly to Apple's website regarding battery FAQ's: Apple - Batteries - iPad

Last edited:

Rbutts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So glad I found this thread. I had no idea I should let it drain completely once a month. I knew there was no memory like the old batteries but I had no idea it was "healthy" for my iPad to let it drain completely. Good info and great job sourcing it.

Rachelle Butts

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe the reason a full monthly discharge is recommended is to keep the battery meter calibrated. If having your meter off by a few percentage points doesn't really matter to you then you don't need to make a special effort to perform a full discharge at all. Just use your Ipad and charge it when needed.

OP
R

Romeolo888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[
This is the charger that is supplied in all US sold iPad boxes:

Apple-iPad-Charger-500x500.jpg

Apple said:
Charging Tips

I have this charger as well, but for some reason, when i use it, it says on my ipad not charging, so i use the iphone charger. its no big deal anyway, i just wanted to check for more infor about it :)

thanks for the help everyone

J.D

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.HaxorNoob.com
I have ran mine dead once or twice and charged it up to 100& from 0 but most of the time I charge it back up to 100& when it reaches 15 - 10%

My iPad takes around 3 hours and a half to reach it's full charge as I do use it when charging (not as much not sometimes for a little bit)

joecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this charger as well, but for some reason, when i use it, it says on my ipad not charging, so i use the iphone charger. its no big deal anyway, i just wanted to check for more infor about it :)

thanks for the help everyone

same here. Whenever I use the iPad while plugged in (the iPad, not me) to the charger or USB, it says not charging next to the battery icon. Never caused any problems but does seem strange.
Joe

joecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same here. Whenever I use the iPad while plugged in (the iPad, not me) to the charger or USB, it says not charging next to the battery icon. Never caused any problems but does seem strange.
Joe

ok, just ran it down to 0% and recharging. No longer says not charging and shows the battery % increasing while in use.

Most reactions

Latest posts