What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Battery

Romeolo888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello all

I have a question about the charging the ipad.

I have noticed that when the ipad is charging at the mains, if you start to use the ipad, the ipad doesnt seem to charge anymore.

I find this strange because for example if i am charging my laptop battery whilst using it at the same time, my laptop battery is still being charged.

But for my ipad, it just seems to stop on like 34% charged, or whatever it is at.

is there a way around this? is this a fault?

I am sure on my iphone that you can use the phone and it still charges at the same time.

thank you all for your time

OP
R

Romeolo888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do you guys find that it takes along time to charge? roughly how long does it take you guys to charge fully from about 10% to 100% full?

contraption

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
dig4u.org
I dont see the situation, i guess you'd better take it to the Apple service center ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It takes me abut 3 hours to get 100% from 0%, sometimes longer because I us the iPad while it's charging

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It takes me abut 3 hours to get 100% from 0%, sometimes longer because I us the iPad while it's charging

I would say that sounds right. I'd also advise you not to run it down to zero, at least not on a regular basis.

Lithium batteries do not have memory like the old nicad batteries so you can charge them anytime you feel like it.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A quick couple questions for you:

1. Are you charging it through a computer's USB port?

2. Are you using an iPhone or iPod touch's charging adapter instead of the larger, more powerful charging unit that came with the iPad?

3. Have you recently used any travel voltage/amperage adapters with your iPad?

The iPad will still charge via USB or with chargers designed for the iPhone/iPod, however, the wattage is twice that compared to the one included with an iPhone, and has a higher amperage rating (2.1A). USB ports also work, but charge at a slower rate than using the supplied charger.

If you using the charger that came with your iPad, and are noticing longer than usual charging times, make an appointment with your nearest Apple store's Genius Bar, where they can check it for you. Make sure you do one last sync with your computer before going, as they may replace your iPad under warranty if it indeed is not taking a charge properly.

After my wife traveled to Europe with our iPad, upon returning to the US, we noticed that our ipad was intermittently taking a charge and/or charging very slowly - so we made an appt at our closest Apple store's Genius bar, and upon verifying the charging problem, replaced my iPad with a new one.

I cannot tell you what they will do for you when you go and see them, as it is up to the techs that look at your device, but they have the tools and the knowhow to diagnose and troubleshoot Apple products better than anyone.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score

2. Are you using an iPhone or iPod touch's charging adapter instead of the larger, more powerful charging unit that came with the iPad?

The iPad will still charge via USB or with chargers designed for the
iPhone/iPod, however, the wattage is twice that compared to the one included with an iPhone, and has a higher amperage rating (2.1A). USB ports also work, but charge at a slower rate than using the supplied charger.

If you using the charger that came with your iPad, and are noticing longer than usual charging times, make an appointment with your nearest Apple store's Genius Bar, where they can check it for you. Make sure you do one last sync with your computer before going, as they may replace your iPad under warranty if it indeed is not taking a charge properly.

After my wife traveled to Europe with our iPad, upon returning to the US, we noticed that our ipad was intermittently taking a charge and/or charging very slowly - so we made an appt at our closest Apple store's Genius bar, and upon verifying the charging problem, replaced my iPad with a new one.

I cannot tell you what they will do for you when you go and see them, as it is up to the techs that look at your device, but they have the tools and the knowhow to diagnose and troubleshoot Apple products better than anyone.

Did you mean to quote me there?

No to those questions...I thought 3 hours was a good amount to charge the iPad?

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I would say that sounds right. I'd also advise you not to run it down to zero, at least not on a regular basis.

Actually Apple recommends that you do exactly that, once a month:

Apple - Batteries - iPad
Apple said:
Use Your iPad Regularly
For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Actually Apple recommends that you do exactly that, once a month:

Apple - Batteries - iPad
Apple said:
Use Your iPad Regularly
For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

What's the best percentage to let the iPad run down to? 5%-10%?

OP
R

Romeolo888

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The iPad will still charge via USB or with chargers designed for the iPhone/iPod, however, the wattage is twice that compared to the one included with an iPhone, and has a higher amperage rating (2.1A). USB ports also work, but charge at a slower rate than using the supplied charger.

i charge through the mains, and i am sure my ipad didnt come with a charger, just a usb cable, do you have a picture of what charger you are talking about so i can be certain.

:)

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I charge the iPad through my PC's USB.
Works great with the Asus application

Most reactions

Latest posts