What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad/bath

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sapper756 said:
thank you all for the replies, the ipad is now resting in a tray of rice, and by the way, I was watching a game of football while resting in a warm bath, WOT A PLONKER!!

Haha! I do this, I always prop it up on the shampoo bottle, but always anxious that it may fall in....

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Took about a week for a soaked iPhone to start working again.
I concocted a stand over a radiator so it was continually warm to the touch
Damage through short-circuiting can occur if water is present, so do wait and avoid trying it too early.

Hopefully you should be ok.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sapper756 said:
My insurance company picked up my ipad today, so will wait and see what happens.:)

I don't see if you said it wouldn't work or if the rice helped. an insurance company came and picked it up, for real? Maybe I am missing something in the discussion. But whatever I hope you still have or can get a working one.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2's don't have the moisture censor like the older devices. if it gets damaged from water, apple has no way of knowing. Saw an article on this today. So if it goes bad, try and get a replacement first, then see what happens.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kayno said:
The iPad 2's don't have the moisture censor like the older devices. if it gets damaged from water, apple has no way of knowing. Saw an article on this today. So if it goes bad, try and get a replacement first, then see what happens.

Cool. In the past, short of water damage, it's been a snap to get a replacement. I've exchanged two iPad 1's, two 3GS's for tiny little defects in the past and today a iPad 2. They really don't hesitate to do it, at least not where I live.

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i did that w/ my Blackberry phone........accidentally knocked it off the counter and into the dog's water dish :( Did all the "right" things to let it dry. It worked great for about 6 months. Then it started acting as though it had an electrical short. When I took it back to the store, they said this delay in malfunctioning is normal. The water causes erosion and even though you use rice, bags, etc... to dry them off, they still erode. It just takes a long time for the erosion to become noticeable. I was glad I paid for the insurance!

Jmedillin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have fixed several iphones that have been dropped in water, and everyone brings them to me in a bag of rice, but i have found that the only way to take care of it so that you don't have problems in the future is to remove the board and remove the metal sheilds so that it can dry completely for about 24 to 48 hours. Then go over the contacts with alcohol and a soft tooth brush. If corrosion is present then you may have to get more aggressive with it, but if you do this as soon as it gets wet then it is very successful. Oh and don't hook it up to the charger and power it down immediately...

Jmedillin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that rice will dry it up, but the minerals or whatever else is in the water just dries on the board and components. Thats why you need to clean it off then use alcohol to prevent it from corroding 6 months down the road.

Most reactions