What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad backup to new iPad?

delirium trigger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read that when activating the new iPad from a backup from the old iPad it would transfer movies and music downloaded from iTunes. BUT if I have deleted those movies and some of that music from my iPad will it still go automatically download everything I've ever bought from the device? Because I do NOT want it to do that. A lot of that music I don't want anymore and a lot of the movies I don't want on my iPad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you set up your new device from a backup, all the settings and content that was on your iPad when the backup was created will also appear on the new device.

Something that is not on your old iPad will also not appear on the new one.

OP
D

delirium trigger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you set up your new device from a backup, all the settings and content that was on your iPad when the backup was created will also appear on the new device.

Something that is not on your old iPad will also not appear on the new one.

Okay, so even though I do iCloud backup, it would be faster to do it with iTunes so I don't have to download anything right?

Also, what happens to the old iPad? Does the new iPad get a new name, though it has the old iPad's information on it?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The new iPad will get the name of the old one, because you use it's information to back it up. It's up to you to change the name, if you want to be able to tell which iPad is which in your iCloud backups.

If you use an iCloud backup to restore it, the iPad will need some time to download all your purchases (that were also on the old device at the time of the backup). So, in this case, iTunes is faster.

Most reactions

Latest posts