What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as phone?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype work well in Wifi (not yet got the chance to use the new Skype with 3G) my wife use it everyday for call our staff in several country … Skype to Skype or Skype call and no trouble even our network is not that strong

bukzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'VoiceCentral' and 'Line2'

Newbie thoughts...

I have just got my wifi ipad and sorting out the basics.

Signed up for both VoiceCentral (by RiverTurn) and Line2 (by Toktumi)
Seems they are both working on my ipad.

I have no idea if they 'fill the bill' regarding what you are looking for.
Not even sure they are wifi dialing.

Check them out; Line2 is $15/mo. and VoiceCentral seems to be free.

Have others tried them out? Which do you like and why?

Thanks!

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have been playing around with it for a while and an FYI the app needs to be open to receive a call. Might be obvious but I was hoping that somehow it might notify you otherwise.

The latest update for Skype says that it sends pushes when you get calls even if the app is not active. I haven't checked it, tho, but that's a major addition if it works!

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used the whistle app and it has worked pretty good if you overlook the adds when first making a call.

Al.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whistle is a great app and I have used it! My comment, however, was that I was trying to make the point that the iPad, the way it is now, even the 3g version, is NOT a phone as one poster suggested.

CoMoMacUser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I wasn't under contract Id consider using the iPad for all my phone calls with Skype, because I don't talk on the phone much, mostly just text.

Me, too. Once the iPad gets iOS 4, Whistle should be able to sit in the background at all times to field incoming calls. iOS 4 should be out this fall, which also is when my Sprint contract runs out. I'm not sure if I can justify keeping my phone after that. I talk maybe 15 minutes a month on it. The rest of my usage is e-mail and other data services.

The wild card is whether AT&T starts blocking Whistle.

Zac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you use "whistle phone" to call international numbers?

kilofox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the iPhone Vonage app to make free calls via wifi.

1. The app is free and allows you to make free calls to landlines in the US. (international calls are not free)

2. The receiving caller sees your real number (when signing up for the Vonage app, Vonage verifies your id by calling you via the number you register within the app)

3. Did I mention is free for calls to the US? :)

4. You do not have to be a Vonage subscriber to use the app.

bcorc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you enter a password with the first letter lower case?

Most reactions

Latest posts