What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as computer replacement?

Bw53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
I don't touch iCloud. I'm talking more practical cloud storage like Dropbox, for example. No tie in with Apple whatsoever and cross format friendly.

Actually I really like my iPad. It's great for reading and watching video, movies and even TV. The display is beautiful. The main reason I bought it. I'm getting used to the operating system but it still seems more difficult than it should be. It can't handle complex spreadsheets and drags down with large PDFs. But that's all okay I'll use it for what it does best.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I really like my iPad. It's great for reading and watching video, movies and even TV. The display is beautiful. The main reason I bought it. I'm getting used to the operating system but it still seems more difficult than it should be. It can't handle complex spreadsheets and drags down with large PDFs. But that's all okay I'll use it for what it does best.

There are definite limitations in file management, but this in my opinion is great, it limits virus infections, offers better security for the individual using the device (normal people) who in most cases are clueless on how to copy and move files on a pc never mind a mobile device, using Dropbox is a great way to manage files from any platform to a mobile device, storing large amounts of data on an iPad is senseless, it was never designed to handle complex spread sheets due to screen size, although I have opened mine with no issues, as for PDF, I actually can do more with PDF management and editing at a lower cost than adobe acrobat on my ipad1, if someone sends me a doc in PDF , I can fill it in extract pages , add pages and even sign the doc or get a client to sign, with a newer iPad you can even scan a page and add it to an existing PDF document, I currently do 98% of all my business admin on the iPad.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'd suggest an MBA would be the best bet. Highly portable and long battery life and you can hammer out long documents easier.
The return to school offer isn't bad either.

I am about to spring for an air over the next couple of months. I do have an iPad and the external keyboard and whilst it's good, I only use it for meeting notes I this respect.

iPad is great for so many things but as a sole item for student I would say a MacBook is a better bet.

bassman99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is rather slow and limited to be your only option. It has its place (I'm using mine now), and love it for the size and "instant on", but it pales in comparison to anything more than a net book.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd dare to guess that most people who say you can't use an iPad as your sole computer have never tried it.

I went all iPad about 4 months ago and it's been great. One thing I do ALOT is writing and with my bluetooth keyboard and dropbox, I'm set.

I don't do much else but surf the web, watch video's, and e-mail. In fact, for my purposes, an iPad is much superior to a laptop. I love being able to read books and watch video's on my Ipad as opposed to a laptop. To show you how much of a non-issue processing power is I'm even using the ORIGINAL iPad.

Last edited:

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Computer replacement for me as well.

More accurately, notebook replacement, physical textbook replacement, and bookshelf replacement...in addition to desktop replacement.

I have about six 2,000+ page textbook pdfs open in iannotate, they flow smoothly, allow for notes, bookmarks, etc and tabbed switching between any of them.

I take notes with a stylus in class and got rid of my notebook last semester (goodnotes, notability ). I have all the slides downloaded directly on it, and take notes on the slides as if I printed them.

I use pages and the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard case for typing papers, emailing them to the professor, and printing them.

The nice part is all I take to class is my iPad and stylus. Not lugging around a backpack is very, very nice...and I still have all the textbooks, handouts (I take pics of them, and can fill them out with stylus as needed) with me. I even have flashcards for studying readily and instantly available...

One of the best purchases I've made. And I admit at first I considered it a "toy" as well, until I experimented and learned how to use it.

Also I'm coming from android tablets..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
milkmilklemonade said:
Computer replacement for me as well.

More accurately, notebook replacement, physical textbook replacement, and bookshelf replacement...in addition to desktop replacement.

I have about six 2,000+ page textbook pdfs open in iannotate, they flow smoothly, allow for notes, bookmarks, etc and tabbed switching between any of them.

I take notes with a stylus in class and got rid of my notebook last semester (goodnotes, notability ). I have all the slides downloaded directly on it, and take notes on the slides as if I printed them.

I use pages and the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard case for typing papers, emailing them to the professor, and printing them.

The nice part is all I take to class is my iPad and stylus. Not lugging around a backpack is very, very nice...and I still have all the textbooks, handouts (I take pics of them, and can fill them out with stylus as needed) with me. I even have flashcards for studying readily and instantly available...

One of the best purchases I've made. And I admit at first I considered it a "toy" as well, until I experimented and learned how to use it.

Also I'm coming from android tablets..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for your input milkmilklemonade. As a part time student, I too am bringing just my iPad to class and it is more than enough.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have a macbook pro and an ipad2 and although i love my iPad it could never be my sole computer,i love my pro when i want to do lots of typing and doing this involves a lot of that i wouldn't be without it,also things like copy and paste are much easier on a computer(for me anyway)....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First of all, sorry for asking this age-old question again, but I need some personal specifics.

I am going to college and current netbook is breaking down ( HP Mini 100-1000, great first pc ) so I need some info on what to do next. I hate Windows and android so I want to go Mac or iDevice. I was considering three things;

1. A Mac Mini, and just hang in there with the HP

2. An iPad, with a potential wireless keyboard

3. A MacBook air, I love the portability!

I know most of you will say iPad but if anyone has experience with two or all, what would you recommend?

Also, first post so be nice!

You didn't say what major.

Most reactions