What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as computer replacement?

Ranjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad is a viable replacement to a laptop if you have the necessary apps to do the different tasks. You can save and annotate .pdf file (Good Reader). Use Docs to Go to open/edit MSOffice files which retain their format when transferred to a PC. Creat and make presentations using Keynote. Store and read books in iBooks. Use DropBox or email to transfer files. If you are not programming or doing complex calculations then iPad is great alternative with 10 hours of use per charge. I used to carry the laptop on overseas trips. On my last trip, I carried only the iPad and was able to accomplish everything. My only apprehension was the lack of WiFi and only wired connections in the hotel rooms. I took an airport express to create my own hotspot in the room using the wired connection. If one does not need to do programming, the iPad is a great alternative that is handy to carry around and use anytime.

adyhooper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess Ipad would be smart enough to replace computer. It is fast, simple and one can organize their stuffs easily. Ipad also allows developers to code their websites and is quite flexible. The good thing about ipad is one can carry it easily.

Last edited:

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
milkmilklemonade said:
Computer replacement for me as well.

I am seriously thinking of using my iPad 2 as a laptop computer replacement

I have tried to read around this forum but found you to be the most optimistic and probably one of the latest....so starting here

MS OFFICE equivalent
-------------------------------------

1. I have been using my laptop for spreadsheets, ms word, browsing and mail. These 4 are absolutely essential and read + ..write mode meaning I need good robust apps / stuff to both read spreadsheets , documents and also create , store them
1.1. I do use formulae
1.2 No vba for the moment ....but should that be there I'm willing to pay more ...
1.3. PDF and power point are more in read only mode.... Still essential

2. I would be grateful if you can tell me what apps are absolutely essential and best in class

3.. I've read around about spread sheets and word processing and I get a first impression that the apple originals are the best ...approx 10 dollars each. I am not sure and hence the post here

3.1. Browser ...And mail :
--------------------------------------
3.1. For the moment I think native safari is the best I can get so .... ?
3.2. The mail client handles multiple mail but allows only one signature and that kills me ...any tips tweaks ? Apps ?

Keyboard
---------------
4.. Looks like I need an external key board as well. I terribly miss the number row ...for special symbols and the arrow keys ..... And what about a mouse ?
5. I do type a lot
6. I'll die without a numeric keypad !!!!!

others
--------------
7. I need a good password keeper as well

8.xyz : storage and file handling
-------------------------------------------
how do I find the space I have on my iPad
Can I use and external drive physically connected to the ipad to enhance space ? Please note I do notnhave to add Space to the iPad ... All I need is to move files over somewhere and then bring them back when needed

Thanks in advance and best regards

Subu

cdf3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB transfer, whilst handy and useful is being overrun by a plethora of cloud based storage options. With these, a piece of cake! You could say USB is so 2010 :)

I love the cloud as well, but it's only useful if you have an Internet connection.
I'm unable to transfer files at work because of no data signal and no public wifi within the building.
This is a feature I wish I had on my iPad. I use this all the time on my android tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
cdf3 said:
I love the cloud as well, but it's only useful if you have an Internet connection.
I'm unable to transfer files at work because of no data signal and no public wifi within the building.
This is a feature I wish I had on my iPad. I use this all the time on my android tablet.

Yep, that's where the 3G/4G version comes in handy!

Fn1889m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a law office. I have a PC, so I can't say I only use an iPad3, wireless. But the PC is used by an employee for the most part. I am learning to use an iPad as my sole computer. It has some definite limitations, but fewer than I thought. If you want to use the iPad in lieu of a laptop, these are my observations:

First, you definitely need some cloud real estate. I pay for 50 gigs of Dropbox, which is the smoothest sync with the PC. I can access the same files with either machine. It takes an extra step to upload from iPad Pages to Dropbox, but I expect that to be resolved soon. I give the cloud storage link an 8 of 10. But get the 64 gig iPad.

Second, the iPad is good for simple text, but not so good for complex text formatting. I am an attorney, and while I can do some pleading paper documents on the iPad, it really does not do highly complex formatting very well. I am using Pages, which works fairly well for correspondence. But it is not seamless. I give the iPad a 9 for single font text documents, but only a 5 for complex formatted documents using multiple outline levels, spacing and texts. I still have to finish pleadings on the PC. But Pages converts to MSWord fairly well.

Third, I bought a wireless keyboard but I seldom use it. I have become comfortable with the on-screen keyboard, and find it works for 99% of my needs. But the more complex the document, the more you need the Bluetooth keyboard. Mostly, it is faster to type on the separate keyboard until you get used to the on-screen keyboard. However, once you get used to the on-screen keyboard, it's convenience outweighs the extra keys on the Bluetooth keyboard. I only use the Bluetooth keyboard if the iPad is charging, at my desk. Portability is a premium. I give the iPad keyboard a 7.5.

Fourth, the iPad is easy to take to court, and therefore I assume it is easy to take to class. The laptop is just too big to lug around. I use the smartcover and a thin plastic snap cover for the back. It seems to be enough protection. It is nice to have all my files on the iPad. But you really need an active wireless connection to use Dropbox. If I am not sure it will be available, I save documents to Pages, iBooks, or .pdf on the iPad. So for not having to lug around files, I give the iPad an 8 for convenience.

Fifth, it prints fine, via the PC and an air printer program. Otherwise, you need to buy an air printer module.

I have only done simple spreadsheets on Numbers, but my impression is that the the program suffers from the equivalent issue as Pages. It works fine for simple spreadsheets, but probably not for complex spreadsheets. But the one I did transferred to Excel without any problem.

There are several things Apple could do.
- Make the IPad a little larger. Large enough to add the four arrow keys and a tab key.
- Make it work with Dropbox without hassles. I think the bottom line is that Apple wants you to buy their cloud storage. They need to get over it. Let the user choose their cloud.
- Allow documents to be transferred by a USB connection device.

So in general, if you are typesetting, an iPad will not be enough. But if you are typing papers in the same font throughout, and if you have an always-on wireless connection, it will be enough. When I went to college home computers had not been invented. Having to decide between an iPad and a laptop is not a problem. I was lucky to have a transistor radio. Does anyone from Seattle remember KEZX and KZAM?

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Excellent summary Fn1889n. I appreciate your workflow as I too perform my work very similarly to you. I have a work PC where I do my final documentation but I use my iPad to do raw data entry. As an internal auditor, I review my client's process flows and procedures. Then I extrapolate some of their data for specific testing. I create a spreadsheet in MS Excel, save it to iCloud and pull the document down to my iPad. Once I'm finished testing, I take my iPad documentation--which automatically saves it to iCloud and pull the information back onto my PC for final comments and findings.

On my PC I use MS Word and Excel. On my iPad I use Numbers and Pages. Importing and exporting is very easily done. My iPad is a 3g model, so I do not rely on my workplace's wifi--I have to jump thru too many hoops at my audit sites to register and get access to internal wifi and I'm only onsite at any particular place for just a month.

I was one of the first members on my audit team to use this workflow. As I found myself managing my data gathering so much faster, my teammates began noticing, started asking questions, and got them to use an iPad for their own work. My entire team of seven all own and use iPads--in various models and capability. We all have 3G/4G. We also use the Zaggmate or Zaggfolio carrying case with bluetooth keyboard. My team has also gotten approval to use iPad taken photos of physical findings--things like tail gating, or physical security breeches, etc., with our audit findings.

Fn1889m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can type the first draft of pleadings on an iPad but clean them up on the PC, as I assume Matt does as well. Most things go through multiple drafts so it is not a big deal.

The big deal was learning to type quickly on the iPad keyboard, even in a monofont. It gets faster every day.

Last edited:

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fn1889m said:
I have a law office. I have a PC, so I can't say I only use an iPad3, wireless. But the PC is used by an employee for the most part. I am learning to use an iPad as my sole computer. It has some definite limitations, but fewer than I thought. If you want to use the iPad in lieu of a laptop, these are my observations:

First, you definitely need some cloud real estate. I pay for 50 gigs of Dropbox, which is the smoothest sync with the PC. I can access the same files with either machine. It takes an extra step to upload from iPad Pages to Dropbox, but I expect that to be resolved soon. I give the cloud storage link an 8 of 10. But get the 64 gig iPad.

Second, the iPad is good for simple text, but not so good for complex text formatting. I am an attorney, and while I can do some pleading paper documents on the iPad, it really does not do highly complex formatting very well. I am using Pages, which works fairly well for correspondence. But it is not seamless. I give the iPad a 9 for single font text documents, but only a 5 for complex formatted documents using multiple outline levels, spacing and texts. I still have to finish pleadings on the PC. But Pages converts to MSWord fairly well.

Third, I bought a wireless keyboard but I seldom use it. I have become comfortable with the on-screen keyboard, and find it works for 99% of my needs. But the more complex the document, the more you need the Bluetooth keyboard. Mostly, it is faster to type on the separate keyboard until you get used to the on-screen keyboard. However, once you get used to the on-screen keyboard, it's convenience outweighs the extra keys on the Bluetooth keyboard. I only use the Bluetooth keyboard if the iPad is charging, at my desk. Portability is a premium. I give the iPad keyboard a 7.5.

Fourth, the iPad is easy to take to court, and therefore I assume it is easy to take to class. The laptop is just too big to lug around. I use the smartcover and a thin plastic snap cover for the back. It seems to be enough protection. It is nice to have all my files on the iPad. But you really need an active wireless connection to use Dropbox. If I am not sure it will be available, I save documents to Pages, iBooks, or .pdf on the iPad. So for not having to lug around files, I give the iPad an 8 for convenience.

Fifth, it prints fine, via the PC and an air printer program. Otherwise, you need to buy an air printer module.

I have only done simple spreadsheets on Numbers, but my impression is that the the program suffers from the equivalent issue as Pages. It works fine for simple spreadsheets, but probably not for complex spreadsheets. But the one I did transferred to Excel without any problem.

- Make the IPad a little larger. Large enough to add the four arrow keys and a tab key.
- Make it work with Dropbox without hassles. I think the bottom line is that Apple wants you to buy their cloud storage. They need to get over it. Let the user choose their cloud.

So in general, if you are typesetting, an iPad will not be enough. But if you are typing papers in the same font throughout, and if you have an always-on wireless connection, it will be enough. When I went to college home computers had not been invented. Having to decide between an iPad and a laptop is not a problem. I was lucky to have a transistor radio. Does anyone from Seattle remember KEZX and KZAM?

Thanks a ton

Is there a way to synch with an external hard drive using the wi fi ...Not the connection to Internet but just home wifi ?

What choice / checks / selection process did you go thru with the keyboard ?

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
Excellent summary Fn1889n. I appreciate your workflow as I too perform my work very similarly to you. I have a work PC where I do my final documentation but I use my iPad to do raw data entry. As an internal auditor, I review my client's process flows and procedures. Then I extrapolate some of their data for specific testing. I create a spreadsheet in MS Excel, save it to iCloud and pull the document down to my iPad. Once I'm finished testing, I take my iPad documentation--which automatically saves it to iCloud and pull the information back onto my PC for final comments and findings.

On my PC I use MS Word and Excel. On my iPad I use Numbers and Pages. Importing and exporting is very easily done. My iPad is a 3g model, so I do not rely on my workplace's wifi--I have to jump thru too many hoops at my audit sites to register and get access to internal wifi and I'm only onsite at any particular place for just a month.

I was one of the first members on my audit team to use this workflow. As I found myself managing my data gathering so much faster, my teammates began noticing, started asking questions, and got them to use an iPad for their own work. My entire team of seven all own and use iPads--in various models and capability. We all have 3G/4G. We also use the Zaggmate or Zaggfolio carrying case with bluetooth keyboard. My team has also gotten approval to use iPad taken photos of physical findings--things like tail gating, or physical security breeches, etc., with our audit findings.

Thanks for the tips and also telling me about corporate / office use as well

do you do the following :
----------------------------------------
Copy paste from browser to xl of iPads spreadsheet ? Say a customer's web link table to your spread sheet ?
Open rich text files if any on the iPad ? If so how to save em ? Just I books ?
Use any password keeper .... Password saver...manager?

Tia and best regards

Subu

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
cdf3 said:
Not on my job. No one can get a 3G/4G signal. It's either 1x or no service at all.

A shame. I know that in some places, modern 3G is dodgy the best of times.

At work, our network was set up before wifi was a big deal, so everything is ethernet. I brought in my old wifi router from before I upgraded to cable (with a new wireless router). I set it up so now staff with iPhones and iPads, plus the boss with his windows 7 laptop can connect wirelessly.

I guess it just depends on how strict an IT policy your workplace has.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

elau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find the iPad can do more than I ever imagine. I first thought it is a toy but lately it is my primary work horse. I love the fact I can take notes in meetings and pictures too. And they all neatly organized in the Evernote (that I primary use) without me doing a thing is just great. I have not even opened my company's laptop in a month. With the right applications, I am a firm believer this tablet can easily replace my laptop. And by the way, I am a Computer Telephony Integration engineer and for me to use the iPad for my work means no easy task.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fn1889m said:

Onlive Desktop and a solid wifi/4g connection. Use word directly and get a ultra thin keyboard.

Most reactions

Latest posts