What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as Car Headset display unit

Dimpu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

My queries/requirements are a bit different. Since this forum has lots of iPad enthusiasts, I am trying my luck to find the optimal solution to my needs.

Requirements: Yesterday night I was looking for car headrest DVD player for my 2 yr old kid. I came across few player providing USB/Micro SD input and screen size of 10 inch. They come along with remote and IR headset. They cost usually under $200

But later thought whether the same requirement can be met using a tablet. I am ready to shed more money (say around $300) for meeting such requirement via tablet. My requirements are:
  1. 10 inch tablet that plays movies from USB/micro SD card reader – Please let me know if there is any tablet that can play movies from USB flash drive/SD card. It shall have good resolution. Would prefer iPad, Samsung, Amazon fire etc.
  2. Car Headrest mount to hold tablet – Found many mounts on Amazon under $15.
  3. Tablet comes with remote to navigate across various apps/folder
  4. Support IR/Bluetooth headset

Thanks for your assistance.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with the dedicated device. Attempting to recreate this on an iPad is going to be difficult, time-consuming and probably won't work. You may have more luck with Android tablets. They, at least, have SD card readers, which the iPad lacks. They also have a file system which is more likely to play your movie files. The iPad will demand that they are compatible with it's OS. You can't simply download extra codecs.

Most reactions

Latest posts