What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as a laptop

riverdove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster; thanks for your help everyone :D

This is what I would like to do - is it possible:
*Use my iPad essentially as a laptop. Major use is editing word, excel and powerpoint documents
*I want to use the CKK to attach a USB thumb drive and open my files (in an explorer or finder type environment) where I can directly edit them from the USB using iWorks or equivalent
*Files which I create on my iPad I want to move to my USB too
*I haven't jailbroken the iPad yet, but I want to if I can use this functionality

The reason being is I am in an environment with no WiFi so i need to move files between my computer at work and my iPad which I take with me.

Is this at all possible? Or am I dreaming?
Cheers

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have the 3G model you could use dropbox for iPad while out in the field to upload files. 2gb limit for the free aspect of dropbox...if you want more than its subscription based...which will then appear on your laptop after installing dropbox on laptop. OR goodreader from app store will work for what you want

If you don't have 3G model then jb may be the way to go...Not sure if goodreader will work without wifi/3G though...

OP
R

riverdove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, No 3G - and I'm happy to JB.
Just had a look, i think iFile on Cydia might be the answer.

I dont need a usb and I can connect the iPad directly to the computer.
I havent used iFile before - does this sound like the answer?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
riverdove said:
Yeah, No 3G - and I'm happy to JB.
Just had a look, i think iFile on Cydia might be the answer.

I dont need a usb and I can connect the iPad directly to the computer.
I havent used iFile before - does this sound like the answer?

Then ifile is the answer....but I believe goodreader will also work via USB
to pc as well. Very good app.

OP
R

riverdove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i dont need a program to use ifile on the computer?
the computer is work locked so i want the iPad to appear as another hard drive essentially

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
riverdove said:
so i dont need a program to use ifile on the computer?
the computer is work locked so i want the iPad to appear as another hard drive essentially

Ifile doesn't need a program on laptop but neither does goodreaderUSB...I think.

OP
R

riverdove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is ifile compatible with a CKK and usb drive as well?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
is ifile compatible with a CKK and usb drive as well?

We've got lots of threads on this if you use the search tools, but yes it is compatible. USB drives however generally need to be powered. The iPad can only power a low proportion of USB flash drives itself so it is a bit hit and miss. However, a fully externally powered drive is should not be a problem.

Also, you said you are looking to edit Office documents. Whilst this is possible, and Documents To Go is probably the best of the Apps in that regard, it is far from perfect, particularly on documents with a degree of formatting such as tables, fonts, styles etc.
Same with Powerpoint. It works but is not perfect.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts