What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad app updates/Long detection time

cassiopeia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, why does it take so long for iOS and iPadOS to detect app updates? Since I power on and have the iPhone or iPad connected to wifi, it usually takes 10 to 15min for updates to show up in the App Store. Even if I manually try to detect new updates, they won't show up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I imagine the iPad only checks for updates periodically, rather than constantly pinging the App Store. Keep in mind the App Store. I'm not sure why checking manually would have a significant delay.

To check for app updates manually, I tap on my account icon at the top right of the App Store screen, then swipe down to refresh. Is this how you do it? Not that I know of another way.

90E5D474-B50C-410A-B2D4-A7A044EF969A.png

OP
C

cassiopeia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, yes I try to detect App Updates manually the way you described or by keeping pressed the Store App icon and selecting updates from the popup menu. Either way, it takes 10 to 15min for new updates to show up. Until the number of updates notification overlaps the Store App icon, new updates won't show in the list even when checked manually.
On a separate and related issue, I have no idea why in my iPad the updates are being notified on the icon but not in my iPhone. Is there an iOS setting that enables App Store updates notification? Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't know about long pressing on the icon. Nice shortcut. Thanks.

I have the icon badge for app update notifications disabled, so I've never noticed any discrepancies.

While my devices often don't show all possible updates until I manually look for updates, they are always prompt to appear when I do. Otherwise they trickle into the list bit by bit.

All possible notification and update controls are in Settings > App Store. I don't see anything that is likely to cause what you are describing, but here is how I've got mine set.

18C020F0-3AFD-486C-AF68-A6676344941B.png

OP
C

cassiopeia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Poet, glad to have contributed with a shortcut ;)
In the screenshot you attached , what about when you click on "Notifications"? I have all Notifications enabled (Badges, etc), and the issue is that whenever Updates are present, the red number badge on the Icon is never displayed as I posted when opening this thread. This only happens in my iPhone, but not in my Ipad. There must be some setting that is causing this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here are my settings on the iPad. I thought I had badges turned off, and that is why I never see a count on the App Store icon. Turns out I was wrong. I haven't looked at my iPhone settings, and can't at the moment. Just had a very long weekend and it's recovering on the charger.

F5D1A4FD-E3DE-4C38-BAEE-533303132366.png

OP
C

cassiopeia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't know about long pressing on the icon. Nice shortcut. Thanks.

I have the icon badge for app update notifications disabled, so I've never noticed any discrepancies.

While my devices often don't show all possible updates until I manually look for updates, they are always prompt to appear when I do. Otherwise they trickle into the list bit by bit.

All possible notification and update controls are in Settings > App Store. I don't see anything that is likely to cause what you are describing, but here is how I've got mine set.
I finally nailed it, the conflicting setting is Automatic Downloads/App Updates, as soon as I disabled it the notification badge started showing up.
18C020F0-3AFD-486C-AF68-A6676344941B.png

Most reactions

Latest posts