What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad and viruses

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is by checking and testing each app before you can load it on your iPad. Unlike a pc where it is up to you to ensure the safety of your device.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes but think...what can you download from the Internet? Nothing.... Maybe a PDF that is stored within the iBooks app...or a picture that is within the photo app.... It's all away from the iOS so it's never tweaked like Windows can be.:D

Last edited:

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but the iPhone has not had issues with virus's and the OS are the same. Perhaps someday this may be an issue but I agree with Danny, for now we are OK.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has done a great job to ensure safari (the internet browser) doesn't have any security holes.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding is that Safari is full of vulnerabilities, but is not a target. The conundrum of computers. Until it becomes a target, it is hard to know where the holes are and how to fix them.

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt any sane person would say that such and such is not vulnerable. The open source community believe that since the code is open it is less vulnerable. That said, I do not believe that Safari or mobil Safari are open source. Finally, for some reason the hacking community still views the Windows environment as the place to hack.

karinski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the ipad is safe from virus then how have
I suddenly had a web site net161.Co.CC[/url] spring up telling me that I am infected? Options given were cancel or return to security tool & download it. Opted for cancel .... too frightened to risk otherwise! What should I do?

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's one of those fake virus sites that try to get you to download their software.
Google is your friend :) Google it.

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My sense is that the site is "phising" and wants you to download their "security tool" that will resolve your issue, which I expect is nonexistent.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since iOS and MacOS are Linux based/Unix Based....you are safe from Virus.

They are actually BSD based, nothing Linux about them. Give credit where it is due :)

You are safe for now, but one of these days everybody's perfect world is going to come crashing down. These OS's are not impervious to virus attacks, but we have been lucky so far not to be targeted.

Patspad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe that is true. As Apple takes a bigger market share, I think more bad guys will develop viruses that affect us. Hope not, though.

Most reactions

Latest posts