What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad and viruses

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is by checking and testing each app before you can load it on your iPad. Unlike a pc where it is up to you to ensure the safety of your device.

I'm sorry, but that is kind of nonsense. There have been several apps that have been sneaked into the App Store with hidden features that Apple completely missed. So they obviously don't do too much testing and checking. The reason that someone hasn't tried an attack from the App Store is that first of all you have to register with Apple and second Apple would pull the App before it was able to infect that many devices.

Also, every jailbreak is a virus basically, so there ARE exploits, the last one being a PDF exploit if I am not mistaken, which means that someone could have easily downloaded an infected PDF if someone were inclined to make it.

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since iOS and MacOS are Linux based/Unix Based....you are safe from Virus.

They are actually BSD based, nothing Linux about them. Give credit where it is due :)

Which IS a port of Linux....a very EARLY port of it. :p

lol .. I don't think that is true though. BSD is an extension of UNIX and in fact it is quite a bit older than Linux. Part of the reason Linux was created was because people were tired of waiting for a BSD solution that would run on x86 hardware. BSD has been around since the 1970's. Linux wasn't even conceived at that time and the first Linux kernel was released in the early 1990's.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look don't scare the guy.
I haven't seen any iPad virii or even heard of one.
Yes the possibility is there but so is death by meteorite bombardment.
The chances of getting one are fairly minmal atm and we'll have to face the problem in the future if and when it occurs.
Let him padd in peace.

Most reactions

Latest posts