What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad and mailboxes

crerar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have upgraded to ios5 and am trying to add a mailbox. Nowhere do I see the Edit button when in accounts. I go to mailbox list and I see my iPad and iCloud accounts. No edit. Once I tap on iPad account I go to the iPad mailboxes. No edit button. I tap on a folder and I see edit. tapping it shows, move, delete etc.

What am I doing wrong?

john@

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you trying to add a new mail account (as in, new mail address ) or a new folder in your Mail app (to hold your e-mails on your iPad)? I ask because the way you describe what you are doing leads me to believe ... that you could be doing either.

So, may we have just a bit more clarification as to which you are trying to do? Then, I am sure someone can help.

Thanks.

Marilyn

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm too confused to even take a stab.

Please clarify!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'll give it shot. If I'm describing what you are already doing, sorry.

First, landscape view is easiest to describe, so please open and look at your Mail app this way.

At the top of the mail list you should see a button on the left. It usually says MailBoxes, but can say something else depending on what folder you currently have selected. Tap this button until it goes away. At that point you should have two lists. At the top a list of Inboxes, and below them a list of Accounts.

Now, you can only create new folders with IMAP and Exchange account types, and I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say iPad account, so lets stick with the iCloud account. Select it and you should see a list of your folders, both the standard and created ones.

Tap the Edit button.

At the bottom of the list you should now have a New Mailbox button. Tap and create your new mailbox. You can even create it as a subfolder in an existing Mailbox.

If this is not working for you, and you do not see what I am describing, I'll need more details to make a better guess (assuming I have any idea what is happening).

Good Luck.

Edit: forgot to add the list of general fixes that you can try, if you haven't already:

_________

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to close it.

Close: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
C

crerar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Problem seems to be that I'm trying to create an email folder on my POP account that is simply called iPAD. When I go to the cloud account I see the edit button and the option of creating folders.

I thought I had read that ios5 had solved the issue of creating folders with a pop account.

Sorry. Didn't understand. Thanks to all who responded.

John@

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Used to be that you could sync, but not create iMAP and Exchange folder on the iPad. You had to create them on the server. That's what the update added.

POP accounts don't sync, as a general rule.

Most reactions

Latest posts