What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail on ipad 3 query

senior ipad user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK so I now have a brand new Ipad 3 and my first foray into IOS. I am trying to add a folder to file away some e-mails and all the instructions say to go to the Mailboxes list and click 'Edit' and 'Add new mailbook'. That seems simple enough but when I go to the Mailboxes list there is no Edit button!! Any suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It depends on your email account type. POP3 accounts do not support the ability to create or sync mail folders on the iPad.

Who is your ISP? Check with them and see if they offer IMAP or Exchange account options.

OP
S

senior ipad user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your help - my main email account is POP3 so I will just have to live without folders! I am with BT Yahoo (btinternet.com) and don't think they offer an IMAP version.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your help - my main email account is POP3 so I will just have to live without folders! I am with BT Yahoo (btinternet.com) and don't think they offer an IMAP version.

Last time I looked Yahoo did offer IMAP, but only with a paid account.

The default Yahoo setup on the iPad is IMAP (or maybe Exchange, I'm not sure), but I don't know anything about the options through btinternet.com. It might be worth your time to search their support pages.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last time I looked Yahoo did offer IMAP, but only with a paid account.

The default Yahoo setup on the iPad is IMAP (or maybe Exchange, I'm not sure), but I don't know anything about the options through btinternet.com. It might be worth your time to search their support pages.

It's hybrid actually. It syncs through ActiveSync for the items supported that way, everything else is synced via IMAP.

ISP accounts are the same as the basic paid accounts.

Op, if you didn't already, you should setup your account using the Yahoo option and then you should be able to make folders. If it still doesn't work, the yahoo option will show any folders made through the web interface. Don't delete the pop3 account until you've saved the emails you want into folders unless you have been leaving them on the server. If you've been leaving on the server you can remove the pop3 account before setting up the yahoo account type.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
senior ipad user said:
Hi

I use gmail which offers an IMAP version.

Your question prompted me to see whether I can create a new (sub)folder on the iPad. In short, yes it can be done.

This screen shot shows things mid process.

image-2708878706.jpg

In the side bar, I touched the greyed out main "Gmail" folder. This called up the edit screen which I'm displaying. Everything else is quite intuitive. The buttons top right in the main screen allow you to deal with each email. Move / archive or delete / forward / Compose.
I hope this helps.

Thanks to your query I have now found out how to delete lots of emails at once, to empty the bin etc. Use the sidebar in edit mode. :)

From one senior to another ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts