What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duplicate Mailboxes

Theosp592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I HAVE I PAD 2.

"SENT", "TRASH", "JUNK" AND "DRAFTS" ARE LISTED BOTH IN THE MAIN HEADING OF "MAILBOXES" AND IN THE SHADED HEADING OF "MAILBOXES".

I ONLY HAVE ONE MAILBOX (AOL),MAIL IS TURNED OFF IN THE I CLOUD SETTINGS.

WHY DO I HAVE DUPLICATE MAILBOXES AND I AM UNABLE TO DELETE THE DUPLICATES
LISTED ABOVE IN THE SHADED HEADING OF "MAILBOXES"

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE AN EXPLANATION AND SOLUTION.

THANK YOU,

TED S

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've deleted the other post you made on this same topic. Besides fragmenting any resulting conversation, duplicate posting is against our rules.

OP
T

Theosp592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've deleted the other post you made on this same topic. Besides fragmenting any resulting conversation, duplicate posting is against our rules.[/QUOTE

I'm still a novice at navigating this web site,and only thought my post would be more appropriate in the General Discussion category. Did not intend to break any rules.
I apologize.

Hope this issue of duplicate mailboxes can be explained and resolved.

Many thanks for your input and help.

Ted S

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I HAVE I PAD 2.

"SENT", "TRASH", "JUNK" AND "DRAFTS" ARE LISTED BOTH IN THE MAIN HEADING OF "MAILBOXES" AND IN THE SHADED HEADING OF "MAILBOXES".

I ONLY HAVE ONE MAILBOX (AOL),MAIL IS TURNED OFF IN THE I CLOUD SETTINGS.

WHY DO I HAVE DUPLICATE MAILBOXES AND I AM UNABLE TO DELETE THE DUPLICATES
LISTED ABOVE IN THE SHADED HEADING OF "MAILBOXES"

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE AN EXPLANATION AND SOLUTION.

THANK YOU,

TED S

If I'm following correctly, you Re saying you have the extra folders called Sent, Trash, Junk and Drafts appearing in the Mailbox listing.

You should be able click on the Edit button just to the right of the Mailbox header and it will show all of the folders available. Just uncheck the ones you don't want to appear.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If dhewson777's answer isn't what you need, try uploading a screenshot so we can see exactly what you are talking about.

Use Skitch or another app to obscure any personal information or email addresses first.

OP
T

Theosp592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

As I indicated , I have two Mailboxes.

One (with Edit to the right) ( MailboxA) includes "Sent". "Drafts" ,etc. (See Screen Shot).There is aso another "shaded" heading Mailbox that also includes ""Sent","Drafts" etc.(MailboxB) (See Screen Shot)

When I go into the Edit mode, Drafts,Sent,Junk Trash (+ Archives) appear both in Mailbox A and Mailbox B.However,the above listings in Mailbox B are in greyscale and CANNOT be edited in any way.

If I delete the check mark from the listing in Mailbox A it appears in Mailbox B and is functional

As noted, I only have one mailbox (AOL) and mail is turned off in the I Cloud Settings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 362

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try the following:
Tap "Edit" at the top. Below the first Mailbox, you'll find "Add Mailbox":
image.jpg

The next page will show you mailboxes from below (the greyed out one), some of them should also have checkmarks.
image.jpg

Tap there to remove the checkmarks.
image.jpg

Tap "Done" afterwards to save these settings, again "Done" to get back to the usual Mailbox view. The ones you don't need at the top should have disappeared.

Hope that helps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture - that really helped clarify your issue.

The top part of your Mail ("A") is what is on/accessible to your iPad. The bottom portion ("B") is what is on the server (in your case, AOL).

You can edit the top portion - all it does is allow you to set the iPad up to display only those things you want.

However, you cannot edit the bottom portion because it is what is on the AOL server. To change that, you'd have to go to your mail account on the AOL web page on the Internet (via a browser, whether on the iPad or a computer).

The iPad stock Mail account is a mirror of your mail account, you only see what has been established on the 'Net. That's why the two account have the same appearance and action. The top part is just the iPad reflecting what is on the web (the bottom part). They are not duplicates; the top is mirroring the bottom.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to turn that bottom portion off.

Marilyn

OP
T

Theosp592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your help.
Marilyn, I appreciate the "mirror" explanation of the duplicate mailbox listings which
was confusing vis-a-vis functional logic.

This would be more user-friendly if Mailbox A was simply for categories most frequently used and Mailbox B for those used less often

Don't you agree?

Ted S

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The division makes a lot more sense when you have more than one email account.

The top becomes your combined Inbox, Trash, Sent, VIP, and any other folders/boxes you want quick access to. As you've already been shown, you can customize it.

The bottom gives complete access to all the folders/boxes in all your accounts. It's handy if you need to dig into seldom used folders and subfolders. With only one account you see all the top level folders. With more than one you see the accounts.

Mailboxes.png

Most reactions

Latest posts