What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air Wifi Issue

tonypbeck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently upgraded my broadband to BT full fibre with a speed of 900mbps, but did not change the router as I already had the correct one.

I have an iPad 6th Generation, model MR7F2B/A and I am able to get the full 900mbps via wifi.

My wife has an iPad Air, model MD788B/A using the lates iOS, but is only able to get a maximum 150mbps.

I have tried resetting the network settings, but still only able to get a maximum of 150mbps.

What could be causing this?

Regards

Ant

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many routers have slower 2.4 GHz channels (older standard) and faster 5 GHz channels. As your wife’s iPad is 9 years old, I suspect it is connecting to the 2.4 GHz channel.
@ Ant - I'd have to agree w/ the above, i.e. your wife's iPad dates from 2013 and is running Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) which has the maximum speeds shown in the Wiki chart below - why she cannot approach somewhat higher speeds may relate to multiple factors including the frequency and channels being used and also the router. OTOH, your iPad is on Wi-Fi 5 (ac) and can connect at much higher speeds. Now, 190 Mbps is rather good, i.e. can stream HD movies and probably even play online games - is she having an issue?

As already stated her iPad is old (is the battery OK?) and would fall into Apple's 'obsolete' or 'vintage' category (more HERE) - might be a good time to upgrade to a newer model, even a more recent used or Apple refurb? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 10.48.43 AM.png

OP
T

tonypbeck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies guys, she is always complaining about buffering in here Facebook live shows.

Is there any way to force it to change to a different channel other than resetting the network?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies guys, she is always complaining about buffering in here Facebook live shows.

Is there any way to force it to change to a different channel other than resetting the network?
High again - I've always found dealing w/ Wi-Fi on iOS frustrating for the almost lack of control - just ranting!

Not sure where your wife views her FB shows but maybe a different location in the house nearer the router? Wi-Fi SweetSpots (in App store) allows you to monitor speeds while walking to different rooms - e.g. on my iPadPro, I get about 300 Mbps in the den but next to my router 500+ Mbps (our plan is w/ Spectrum USA and that is our tops - could go to a Gbps plan, but not needed for our purposes).

The current iPadOS is 15.5 but the older iPad Air is likely 2-3 versions behind and fixed - however, checkout her storage and if the capacity is nearly full them some major deletion is suggested.

As to Wi-Fi settings, see the 2nd pic below of my iPad's network features - not much to change; also I have a half dozen or so network apps which seem to duplicate fairly worthless features. If your router is broadcasting multiple networks w/ different names (e.g. a 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz), you may try to sign into another?

Finally if not already done, google 'Facebook buffering problems' - plenty of hits which may (or may not) be of help. Again a newer iPad w/ adequate storage remains my recommendation. Dave :)
IMG_3996.PNG
IMG_3998.PNG

OP
T

tonypbeck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

That's great thank you, will have a look at her settings.

She sits about 4 feet from the router I could put it on her lap 😂

Regards

Ant

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you go into the routers settings and turn off 2.4GHz then her iPad would have no choice but to join he faster network. Of course, it may not join at all after that, and you'd have to turn it back on. Keep in mind that the 5 GHz band does not have the same range and penetrating power of 2.4 GHz, so you may notice poor or no connection in places where you are used to being able to use your devices.

Then again, they speed she is getting should be adequate for most uses. It may not be worth the effort or possible other issues to change your router settings.

Most reactions

Latest posts