What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air vs iPad 4: specs comparison

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ipad 4 vs ipad air.jpg

The iPad Air is a serious improvement over the forth-generation iPad, as the fifth-gen iPad is 20 percent thinner and 28 percent lighter than the iPad 4 and has a iPad Mini-like design. It also comes with the A7 chip, that provides a blazing fast performance with the 64-bit desktop-class chip architecture. Just like the iPhone 5s, Apple's fifth-gen iOS tablet also comes with M7 motion co-processor which will do wonders in fitness-related applications. iPad Air also has improved ultrafast wireless connectivity and faster built-in Wi-Fi.

But besides these major differences, there are other tech specs that you need to take a close loook at. To help you decide whether you need to upgrade to iPad Air or not, have a look at the detailed specs comparison table above. After having compared closely the two iPad models, are you going to get the iPad Air or wait for the next year model?

Source: Digital Trends

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for that! I bought the iPad 4 a few months ago, but the iPad Air looks quite interesting.

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be much of a difference looking at those specs :-()

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5S 64gb Gold using ipf

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a difference for those who have only an IPad 2. This is a big update to what I currently have, however, pleased to say that my iPad 2 continues to do what I need it to do without issue!:)

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that, that's awesome!

Doesn't seem to be a huge difference though. Not what I thought. Doesn't mean I don't still want it!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a huuuugggggeeeeeee difference between the old mini and the mini retina new one! Huuuugggeee! :)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not to knowledgeable about CPU-related things, but I have a feeling the processor difference is a bit difference.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the iPad air had 2GB of RAM? If not, that's kind of lame!

Do keep in mind that all talk about RAM is from 3d party sources - Apple has never stated the RAM capacity in any device; not even the first generation iPad. It's been tear downs after release that have told us the measured RAM.

So, that chart is not entirely accurate.

And, even if it ends up being "only" 1GB of RAM - Apple is very good at making the RAM amount work with the rest of the iPad's system. I'm pretty sure this iPad Air is going to be smoking fast, even with "only" 1GB of RAM expected.

For sure, I'm going to find out for myself on November 1st (!). :D

Marilyn

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is a difference for those who have only an IPad 2. This is a big update to what I currently have, however, pleased to say that my iPad 2 continues to do what I need it to do without issue!:)

Are you buying new iPads for your family again? ;) Can you adopt me and Miles and get us one? An iPad is essential to his doggie cognitive development and Mommy needs to ensure that he's developing by remotely checking his progress on my own iPad. This will make iPad #3 for me and Miles' first iPad.

HELL, I bet people have already bought iPads for their pets. LMAO.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not at all worried about ram on iPad because iOS is a very efficient operating system. 1gb of ram will be plenty.

Now, on android that is not the case. In fact, both of my android tabs have 2gb of ram and they can get all laggy and draggy. It is kind of sad. In those devices they throw ram in as a means to win a spec war but the underlying OS is NOT making efficient use of it and seems to require it to ensure smooth operation.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The iPad Air is a serious improvement over the forth-generation iPad, as the fifth-gen iPad is 20 percent thinner and 28 percent lighter than the iPad 4 and has a iPad Mini-like design. It also comes with the A7 chip, that provides a blazing fast performance with the 64-bit desktop-class chip architecture. Just like the iPhone 5s, Apple's fifth-gen iOS tablet also comes with M7 motion co-processor which will do wonders in fitness-related applications. iPad Air also has improved ultrafast wireless connectivity and faster built-in Wi-Fi.

But besides these major differences, there are other tech specs that you need to take a close loook at. To help you decide whether you need to upgrade to iPad Air or not, have a look at the detailed specs comparison table above. After having compared closely the two iPad models, are you going to get the iPad Air or wait for the next year model?

Source: Digital Trends

Not a whole lot of difference from 4, mine still feels brand new even though a bought it last year during Black Friday. It hasn't left the house since it was delivered to my home. I take my 2 to work and travel, as it has work email pushed to it.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts