What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air is exiting to home screen more than ever

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Based on reading this thread, I went to the Apple Store at Grand Central Station today.

After scanning the crash reports in Diagnostics & Usage, the Genius said I have serious software corruption. This is due to my failure to turn off my iPad on a biweekly basis. (I've been keeping it in Sleep mode since I bought it two months ago.) I have to install a brand new operating system, and I can't restore from iCloud because the problem also exists in my backups.

First, I have to copy my songs, videos and photos to my computer. Then I have to make sure that important files for essential apps can be downloaded from the developers' websites. As long as I have a username and password, I'll be able to this. If I don't have these two things, I need to export the data by other means, e.g., via email or to another cloud storage service like DropBox.

She then gave me instructions for starting over. Once done, after I get the welcome screen, I have to unplug my iPad to prevent it from syncing to iCloud and select ”Set up as a new iPad."

I have my work cut out for me because I have three years worth of information in a variety of apps, but at least my problem has been solved—thanks to all of you in this thread.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Strange, I do turn my iPad Air 128 off completely and I get crashes. I do it quite regularly in hopes it will miraculously solve the problem. It keeps coming back. I hope it solves your issues after all your work.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope so too. I have actually never turned off my iPad 2. It has always been in sleep mode when not in use, and I've rarely had any crashes with that device.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out. You can understand now why I suggested a complete total restore. I am however researching what you were told by apple because most users leave there devices on 7/24

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad it worked out. You can understand now why I suggested a complete total restore. I am however researching what you were told by apple because most users leave there devices on 7/24

Yeah, I never turn mine completely off. Just let it sleep or whatever ya call it. I do restart it every so often but I do that with any electronic device. Good to let it reset itself on occasion.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When i think about it i was guilty of just letting my iPad Air sleep and not actually powering off, Having said that i did the same with my iPad 2 and didn't have crashing problems, I'm going to make a point of powering it off more often to see if it helps....The strange thing is though with my Macbook Pro i always shut it down completely at the end of the day every day so i don't know why i haven't been doing the same with iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad does not need to be shut down every day. Once a month, or when you're having problems, is about right.

Of course this depends to some extent on how you are using it. If you use it a few hours a day and for mostly the same things, then you can generally get away with longer (depending on the apps). If you use it all day for dozens of different things, expect it to need a little more attention on your part.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad does not need to be shut down every day. Once a month, or when you're having problems, is about right.

Of course this depends to some extent on how you are using it. If you use it a few hours a day and for mostly the same things, then you can generally get away with longer (depending on the apps). If you use it all day for dozens of different things, expect it to need a little more attention on your part.
Thanks TP :)

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just thought I would ask here seeing as a topic already exists:-
Today I tried repeatedly to go to the UK Apple Store and look at how they are displaying pricing etc on the two new iPhones.
Unfortunately every single time I tap on the iPhone tab it momentarily loads then immediately crashes throwing me back to the Home Screen.
Question being asked here ~ Has anyone else experienced issues?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just went to the iPhone 6 listing in the Canadian online Apple Store and went right through the entire section, including selecting color, storage size, etc.. The site never crashed once.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just went to the iPhone 6 listing in the Canadian online Apple Store and went right through the entire section, including selecting color, storage size, etc.. The site never crashed once.
Just tried the UK site again and it's still the same, crashes me back to the Home screen every time.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried the Austrian, UK and US site on mine. It didn't crash.
image.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just tried the UK site again and it's still the same, crashes me back to the Home screen every time.
Are you using the Apple Store app or the website view? If you're using the app, try deleting it and reinstalling it, it may help.

Most reactions

Latest posts