What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air is exiting to home screen more than ever

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine has also crashed since new, but less since the 7.1 update. I returned it to Apple once and all they did was a clean install of the operating system. No help! Mine happens almost exclusively when browsing Facebook on Safari. Like Poison Ivy I just accept it now and move on. I was hoping 7.1 would cure it, but no such luck. Oh, they are always "low memory" crashes in the log.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has also crashed since new, but less since the 7.1 update. I returned it to Apple once and all they did was a clean install of the operating system. No help! Mine happens almost exclusively when browsing Facebook on Safari. Like Poison Ivy I just accept it now and move on. I was hoping 7.1 would cure it, but no such luck. Oh, they are always "low memory" crashes in the log.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF
I don't even check the log anymore, I just think well its a better than it was and this is how it is.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine crashed three times last night and every time i was on Facebook, Its actually a Supermarkets FB page where you go to look at new products or make complaints ect , I think the fact that it crashes only on certain sites (In my case anyway) shows it isn't a hardware issue so no amount of exchanging will make any difference, (This is my second Air) I really think this will go on indefinitely and i just put up with it now.

Well, I figure I paid big hard earned bucks for this and it should not be doing it, so even if it isn't hardware, they will be replacing it for as long as my care plan is in force. Maybe Apple will get tired of pads being returned and do something about it. I have a new 128 size iPad Air. It should not be doing this. This is not a toy. iOS 7.1.1 obviously did not fix this. I crash regularly. As a matter of fact, it did it just before I opened this app while I was selecting emails to delete. I selected 5 and was abruptly exited to the home screen. Not that it should make any difference, these were just small emails and no photos.

It doesn't matter what site I am on in Safari.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I figure I paid big hard earned bucks for this and it should not be doing it, so even if it isn't hardware, they will be replacing it for as long as my care plan is in force. Maybe Apple will get tired of pads being returned and do something about it. I have a new 128 size iPad Air. It should not be doing this. This is not a toy. iOS 7.1.1 obviously did not fix this. I crash regularly. As a matter of fact, it did it just before I opened this app while I was selecting emails to delete. I selected 5 and was abruptly exited to the home screen. Not that it should make any difference, these were just small emails and no photos.

It doesn't matter what site I am on in Safari.
Have you tried it on Chrome just to see if its any better?

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried it on Chrome just to see if its any better?

I have never been able to figure out what all that Google Chrome is all about, except I read a lot of complaints about it. I'll have to Google Google Chrome

I shouldn't have to use that. It would still use Safari to get to it, wouldn't it? I know I tried another browser with another iPad years ago, and didn't like it. Much preferred Google.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Chrome is a free third party web browser available for the iPad in the App Store. Yes, it's a Google app.

I have four third party browses on my iPad, for those occasions when Safari doesn't work, they sometimes do. But I mostly use Safari, because it usually does a good job and because it is the system default it usually works better with other apps and services.

I haven't had the problems mentioned here, but I also don't use the iPad as my primary web browser and email client; so I' also spending considerably less time in them.

If you typically have a lot of tabs open in Safari, try keeping it down to three or four. If it's memory error crashes causing the problem that may help.

And iOS 7.1.1 is supposed to have fixed a few other bugs. If you haven't upgraded yet give it a try.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the latest iOS 7.1.1 and I don't normally have more than three tabs open, if that, when using Safari. It doesn't happen with the mini my husband uses.

When I return from a short trip I leave for in a couple weeks, I will visit my Apple store.

If it is an iOS issue, simply putting up with it does not send the message to Apple that they need to address it and fix it. If it is a pad issue, it will be replaced. A replacement might not have the issue anyway, because some people say they do not have the issue. So, maybe not all iPad Airs have the issue. Maybe some have a little quirk that is causing it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hard to say what is going on, and I agree you should take it to the Apple Store, barring a miracle fix between now and then. I'm just throwing out ideas because, well, that's the way I am.

So here I go again, and sorry if it's already been asked and I missed it. Have you cleared out the cookies and data lately?

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hard to say what is going on, and I agree you should take it to the Apple Store, barring a miracle fix between now and then. I'm just throwing out ideas because, well, that's the way I am. So here I go again, and sorry if it's already been asked and I missed it. Have you cleared out the cookies and data lately?

No problem asking. Yes, I have cleared cookies, history, turned it off completely. I think it is the iPad Air itself, or the way this one in particular is behaving.

Since not everyone with the Air is having these issues, I think, like most manufactured goods, even though they are mass produced, and most likely with a lot of robotics, there still could be issues with some, but not most. The same goes with cars, microwaves, anything manufactured. Some companies will do a mass recall and some are ordered to. Something in my iPad Air and other people's iPad Air does not react as designed and expected to the iOS. If that is the case, I doubt all the updates in the world will fix them. The Apple assembly plant where this was put together may have received some faulty parts and there were so few, it wasn't discovered. There were a LOT of these sold.

We had a Samsung TV that died fairly early, less than a couple months. My husband, who is a licensed professional engineer had to check it out. He knew what the issue was and looked at something, schematics(?) and found out where on that huge circuit board that would be handled. He looked and looked for a few days. He used his little probe thingies. He finally added a magnifying glass to his arsenal. He found a soldering joint that had a very minuscule break in it. He removed the soldering job done by, most likely a robot, and redid it himself and cleaned up others while he was at it. The TV is still working today. This was a few years ago. So, my point is, even robots can do a messy job sometimes. So, there may be pads out there that have a rare glitch in the manufacturing, soldering, assembly, or glitchy parts. Most pads will be fine, but the few of us who have the ones done with the glitch, have issues.

I am not saying this is the case, just a theory. I am not a techy person, but I will get it replaced in a few weeks and see what happens.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad Air crashes sometimes when I use the four-finger swipe up gesture to access the multitasking bar. I use that gesture a lot, but it hasn't been happening enough lately for me to remember when it occurs. I'll keep track until I can take advantage of my Apple Care+.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My suggestion is go to apple I understand your issue however this is not a wide spread problem. One needs to isolate issues like this

Restore to factory and use only apps installed and test thoroughly if problem still exists return to apple.

If problem does not exist load a few of your apps at a time continue testing

I have had a customer whom her iPad was crashing in safari and it turned out to be the face book app causing her problem Hope that helps

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My suggestion is go to apple I understand your issue however this is not a wide spread problem. One needs to isolate issues like this Restore to factory and use only apps installed and test thoroughly if problem still exists return to apple. If problem does not exist load a few of your apps at a time continue testing I have had a customer whom her iPad was crashing in safari and it turned out to be the face book app causing her problem Hope that helps

Thank you for the advice. I'm glad I found this thread. Out of all my iPads, my two month old iPad Air is the only one that's had this kind of problem too.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My suggestion is go to apple I understand your issue however this is not a wide spread problem. One needs to isolate issues like this Restore to factory and use only apps installed and test thoroughly if problem still exists return to apple. If problem does not exist load a few of your apps at a time continue testing I have had a customer whom her iPad was crashing in safari and it turned out to be the face book app causing her problem Hope that helps

I do not use the Facebook App and it is not installed on my iPad Air. I will let you all know what happens to mine in about three weeks after I have been able to get to the Apple store.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood me. It is not about face book but it could be just an app you have installed that is the issue. In my clients case it was face book. I for example have a newspaper app the courier mail(australian newspaper) I had to restore this app from scratch as it was crashing all the time..... In your case the browser is crashing which is unable to be removed and that is why I suggest total restore so there nothing else other than what is supplied on the iPad this eliminating any possible conflict . So just try it... Life is too short to stress over this...

Further to this I have seen situations where apps are restored from an older iPad to a newer iPad again this can be an issue. What I do when testing an issue like this is back up the iPad to a computer then restore to factory. Finally after testing red own load the apps from the App Store. You would be amazed how many issues are resolved this way. To be frank iOS 7.1.1 is the best is we have seen and has the least problems. The only model iPad that sometimes hiccups is the iPad 2.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
As far as I remember, all my apple devices have done it, ipads anyway, only ever used the phones for messaging and calls :)

I think it is an os/memory issue, but i do think it is strange that they still do it, programming issue? Not enough ram for the os and programs?

That said, having moved to a samsung galaxy s4 a while back, i miss my iphone 5 like mad, using it was like second nature

Most reactions

Latest posts