What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air, iOS 8.1 Keypad Disappears With Safari in Google

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since iOS 8.1, when I am using the Google search engine, the iPad Air standard keyboard (not a third party keyboard) disappears after the first letter is entered into the search box. The box is moved to the top of the screen and the keyboard is not visible. It is a royal pain in the butt. It is as if it has started the search after the first letter is entered into the box. It is not every time, but most of the time, probably about 90%.

This also happens on web pages. Various ones.

I do not have any third party keyboards installed, therefore I am not using one either. The iPad has been turned completely off, all apps have been closed down, all the things we are told to do have been done.

I have not been paying attention as to whether it is happening in Pages, Numbers, etc. I don't think it does. I have been using them the last couple weeks and don't recall it happening with those two apps. I think it is just in Safari.

I am using an iPad Air (the largest storage capacity) and am running iOS 8.1. I would post this in the general forum, but my husband is using an iPad Mini and has not said he is having that issue and I don't see it happening on my iPhone 5. Both of these are running iOS 8.1. Therefore, I am thinking it is an iPad Air issue.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have done the hard reset. I have done all the things we are always told to do.

My thinking is that it has to do with Apple making the pads third party keyboard compatible. I think they messed something up. I submitted the issue to Appe via a link provided in another issue I posted about. If anyone else has this issue, please submit it to Apple so they get the idea that it is not just my lad or a few.

It is also happening on my husband's mini. I just checked, so this isn't iPad Air specific. If any moderator would like to move this to a general iPad forum since it is. It iPad Air specific, please feel free to do so. I thought this was iPad Air specific.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also see this from time to time. It's one of the many little niggling issues that apple has to correct in iOS 8.1.1 which hopefully we will get very soon.

I see what you are saying though.... Definitely happens.

Ma56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I alsof had this problem that the keyboard dissapears when I type the first letter in the Google Searcy toolbar.
The solution is in Google settings it self.That solved the whole problem.
Because I live in the Netherlands, and I use of course the Dutch language on my IPad air 2, I try to explane in English how to change the settings in Google.
1. Open Google.
2. Sign in to your own Google account so the change hou have to make in Google settings will apply after you conform the change you make.
3. Once you are signed in, go to the right upper corner of the screen next to the Google settings icon and click on it. A bar comes up and click on it
Choose the first option: the Search settings.
4. Then you are in the Search-settings screen of your Google account.
5. In that screen you see 1. safe Search filters
2 . Google instant prediction.
In the Google instant you have 3 Options.
Make sure The Third Option is on: Never give dynamic results.
Scroll to the bottom down and submit/or OK I do not know but you have to confirm or apply the change you make otherwise It will not work!!

Thats all it takes.

and your Google bar will function als normal. IT will never dissapears again.
GOOD LUCK!!!

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I alsof had this problem that the keyboard dissapears when I type the first letter in the Google Searcy toolbar.
Because I live in the Netherlands, and I use of course the Dutch language on my IPad air 2, I try to explane in English how to change the settings in Google.
1. Open Google.
2. Sign in to your own Google account so the change hou have to make in Google settings will apply after you conform the change you make.
3. Once you are signed in, go to the right upper corner of the screen next to the Google settings icon and click on it. A bar comes up and click on it
Scroll to the bottom down and submit/or OK I do not know but you have to confirm or apply the change you make otherwise It will not work!!

Thats all it takes.

GOOD LUCK!!!
This worked great! Thanks for the work around suggestion!

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
UPDATE TO DUSAPPEARING KEYBOARD ISSUE WITH IPAD AIR AND GOOGLE, SOLUTION:

I did some more investigating of this issue. Tonight I found a post with a possible solution. It does in deed seem to be an iPad Air issue since iOS 7.

SOLUTION:
If you open "settings" in Google (little gear in upper right corner of the screen, if I recall correctly) after you open a new window in Google. It is next to the "sign in" option. Now select to edit the search options. Scroll down to the options for Predictive Searches. Just make a change there. It does not matter what option is selected now and it does not matter what option you change it to. Just make a change. Now scroll down and select to save that change. If you want it back to what it was before you saved the change, click that little gear icon and do it again and select the option for predictive searches that you prefer and save it again (scroll to the bottom of the page).

I read this solution on another site. It seems to work. I did it and I have opened 10 new Google pages and have not had a keyboard disappear. Keeping my fingers crossed. It is not a huge deal, but a royal pain in the neck and seems to be only happening with the iPad Air. My husband's mini is fine. My kids and kids-in-law have iPad 2's and they do not have this issue and never saw it until I showed them. My iPhone does not have this issue either.

Alayr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Open Google.

Thats all it takes.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Thanks for this, worked a treat!

Most reactions

Latest posts