What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Air Gets Too Warm

bobetchulee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i decided to buy an ipad air 16G wifi only instead of galaxy note 10.1 2014 ed... i noticed that the ipad air gets quite hot when i place it on my bed while playing farmville 2... is this normal? anybody experiencing the same? should i bring this to a service center and have it checked for any hardware defect?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i decided to buy an ipad air 16G wifi only instead of galaxy note 10.1 2014 ed... i noticed that the ipad air gets quite hot when i place it on my bed while playing farmville 2... is this normal? anybody experiencing the same? should i bring this to a service center and have it checked for any hardware defect?
It's normal for an iPad to get quite warm when playing graphics intensive games. If there was a problem, the iPad would be hot all the time, not just when playing games like FarmVille 2.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An iPad is a computer...just like a laptop or desktop. There are electronics inside, but no fan. It has what is known as passive cooling (heat diffusion though the AL casing into the surrounding air). Most computers have fans inside to move hot air out. Tablets don't because they are intended to be slim and lightweight. But physics is physics and you can't avoid it or beat it. So the iPad gets warm when used heavily, which graphics-intense games do (all computers heat up when used heavily). However, just because it feels warm to your hand doesn't mean there is a problem. If your iPad got too hot it would shut down and force you to stop playing. Computer chips are not people and they can withstand temperatures that make people feel bad. It is not a problem when computers and electronics inside get warm. They can take it for years and years. If it is a problem for you, then get a since case for your iPad and it will keep some distance between you and the AL (which helps take the heat out, by the way). You will notice it less often. When you say "too warm", that has to be for you, because the iPad doesn't have a problem with those temperatures.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your iPad becomes too hot for safe operation you will see this on the display just before it shuts down. image-3410162605.jpg

OP
B

bobetchulee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies. i had a bad experience with a samsung galaxy tab 8.9, it overheated big time i could see a portion of the screen turned orange and eventually damaged the board inside which made the tablet beyond repair. thanks scifan57 for the illustrated info. thanks ac_oc too. i'm reassured and not worry anymore.

pjPonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gummy-stuff.org
I've noticed that if I have my iPad in a case or on a "fluffy" surface, it doesn't have an opportunity to cool properly ... and gets warm.
The iPad Air battery is HUGE, the size of the iPad itself so I try to give it some Air.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The A7 chip is like a chip of an computer. Of course it will get hot because its a 64-bit chip.

Last edited:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I question that statement as like many computer it depends what you are doing on it. Most of the time it does not get hot or as quoted over heated.

Typo I mean gets hot. All laptops I ever touched gets hot. Of course when its light use it may heat slightly or may not even do. But because the iPad Air and iPad Mini 2 has no fan it would of course heat up after a long period of use.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've noticed that if I have my iPad in a case or on a "fluffy" surface, it doesn't have an opportunity to cool properly ... and gets warm.
The iPad Air battery is HUGE, the size of the iPad itself so I try to give it some Air.

Please explain....heat will exit the metal case even if it is inside a case. Same with a fluffy surface. If it gets warm, it gets warm. That doesn't mean it isn't cooling properly.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The A7 chip is like a chip of an computer. Of course it wil over heat because its a 64-bit chip.

The only time the iPad is overheating is if you see that message that SciFan57 posted above. If you see that, then it is overheated. It being a 64-bt chip doesn't mean it will overheat. Even devices with 32-bit chips overheat.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only time the iPad is overheating is if you see that message that SciFan57 posted above. If you see that, then it is overheated. It being a 64-bt chip doesn't mean it will overheat. Even devices with 32-bit chips overheat.

Typo, I mean gets hot. Already edited the post.

OP
B

bobetchulee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
10426774_10202372852506821_3179568651021202737_n.jpgthis is the area of the ipad air where my hand notices that the back gets too warm when playing farmville 2 for more than 20 minutes, so i would hold the tablet on the opposite side of this area, near the front camera... i bought a slim case and lately the warmth didn't bother me again

Most reactions

Latest posts