What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air Battery Going Fast (too fast)

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 and a new Air.
The 2 seems to hold its charge more than twice as long as the new Air.
Just leaving it sit, closed, overnite takes over 20% of the charge away on the Air.
Is there something I should be doing differently or is this just the nature of the Air?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 and a new Air. The 2 seems to hold its charge more than twice as long as the new Air. Just leaving it sit, closed, overnite takes over 20% of the charge away on the Air. Is there something I should be doing differently or is this just the nature of the Air?
A 20% battery drain overnight is not normal. It's possible that one or more apps are running in the background, draining the battery even when you're not using your iPad. Try going to Settings>General>Background App Refresh and turn it off. Let us know if that helps. Turning off location services when not needed can also help save battery power. To turn off location services go to Settings>General>Restrictions>Location Services and turn it off.

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did it. all apps were automatically being refreshed.
Will let you know if that works.
Thanks so much!
RAM

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery Drain Solved

Just wanted to follow-up on the problem with the Air's battery losing power much too fast.
As suggested, I closed all background apps and that solved the problem. Now it lasts alot more than I ever expected.
Also, want to thank those of you who devote your precious time to solve problems like mine.
You are the greatest.
RAM:eek:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi RAM - just a suggestion, but your post would have been better placed in the thread that your started on the issue - starting a new thread has disjointed the discussion and will likely confused those reading this 'new' posting - thus, you might want to put this post into your old thread so others can follow the comments; also, apps running in the background should not normally use much battery power - any specific apps that may have been the problem - just may help others. Thanks for the response - Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know that your problem was solved, it may help someone else who reads this thread. I've also merged today's post with the original thread to keep the info all in one place.

marioG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A 20% battery drain overnight is not normal. It's possible that one or more apps are running in the background, draining the battery even when you're not using your iPad. Try going to Settings>General>Background App Refresh and turn it off. Let us know if that helps. Turning off location services when not needed can also help save battery power. To turn off location services go to Settings>General>Restrictions>Location Services and turn it off.

Won't turning off 'Location Services' interrupt the Ipad Air from keeping the right time?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Won't turning off 'Location Services' interrupt the Ipad Air from keeping the right time?
Yes it will, the clock will not be able to change time zones or correct the time if it is off. However, you can turn on location services for long enough to correct the time, then turn it off again.

marioG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, I think better to keep 'location Services' on and bare with the little battery drain it creates.
Turning 'Location Services' off and on all the time seems a little lame to me. Are you suggesting that the 'Air' must rely on satellites to keep the correct time minute to minute?
I'm in Melbourne, the pad knows this from when I set the initial time zone. From then on it should rely on it's own internal clock to keep the right time instead of relying on satellites. Of course I'm very new to apple (2 days), and perhaps my inexperience is showing.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, I think better to keep 'location Services' on and bare with the little battery drain it creates.
Turning 'Location Services' off and on all the time seems a little lame to me. Are you suggesting that the 'Air' must rely on satellites to keep the correct time minute to minute?
I'm in Melbourne, the pad knows this from when I set the initial time zone. From then on it should rely on it's own internal clock to keep the right time instead of relying on satellites. Of course I'm very new to apple (2 days), and perhaps my inexperience is showing.
No, it doesn't need to rely on satellites. You only need to turn it on once to set the right time, and then can turn off Location Services. That's what scifan57 already said.

marioG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it doesn't need to rely on satellites. You only need to turn it on once to set the right time, and then can turn off Location Services. That's what scifan57 already said.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciated it.

Most reactions

Latest posts